450l with 400l external filter.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Waynef18

Reaction score
Good evening. New to the forum.
I have recently acquired a 2nd hand 450l juwell tank. I have a Aquarium External Filter 1000 L/H from my previous set up. I have researched and this external filter can only got up to 400l. What can I do as I want to keep using this filter. Can I buy a internal filter maybe 100l etc to "top up" my existing one. Also I have one air pump and seen other similar set ups with multiple air stones
Thank you for reading.

I love internal filters, so on a 450l tank I would run two 1000L/hr filters one at each end of the tank facing each other. Do away with the external.

Good evening. New to the forum.
I have recently acquired a 2nd hand 450l juwell tank. I have a Aquarium External Filter 1000 L/H from my previous set up. I have researched and this external filter can only got up to 400l. What can I do as I want to keep using this filter. Can I buy a internal filter maybe 100l etc to "top up" my existing one. Also I have one air pump and seen other similar set ups with multiple air stones
Thank you for reading.
IMO, it really depends on what you're stocking, and whether the filter can handle the bioload, as well what your plant situation is. If you're lightly stocked and you're not trying to do difficult plants or go hi tech, then it's probably fine. I have a 350 Juwel and run a single Fluval 407 (for up to 500L) and the turnover is really barely just enough for my tank. Why are you so set on using this same filter though? Is it budget, or because it's easy to use, etc.? Personally, if you want to continue running this filter, I would add another one but I'm not a fan of internals. I find them to be bulky and a waste of space, and there performance in big tanks is arguably so-so. I think that a lot of people with a tank that big go with a larger beast like an FX4, or two externals. The nice thing about running two filters is that if one of them packs in, you always have another for the back up. The benefit of externals is that they can hold a lot more media than internals, they're easier to clean and maintain, etc. I don't know what that filter is, is it an All Ponds Solutions one? They're not too expensive compared to Fluval or Eheim, so maybe just go for another of the same? Just run them both alongside each other and the new one will mature naturally.

Also, don't forget that the specs that they list for the turnover are almost always the number that occurs without any media in the filter, so once you have the media in, those numbers significantly decrease.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back