32l Planted Shrimp Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aqua Marine

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
[font="Arial][size="2"]After creating many community tanks full of Crypts and Java Fern I decided it was time to try my hand at a 'proper' planted tank with use of a CO2 system and nutrient filled substrate to cater for more demanding and beautiful aqua scapes. When looking into tank dimensions I wanted a small but practical aquarium which would allow me to keep a stable and beautiful small planted tank.[/size][/font]

[font="Arial][size="2"]Equipment Used:[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]1x Aqua One 40 (32l Aquarium)[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]1x 50W Heater[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]1x Eheim Compact Pro 60 (Filter)[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]1x TMC AquaGro CO2 Expert Set[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]2.8kg of Tetra Plant Complete Substrate[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]2.8kg of Aquarium Gravel[/size][/font]

[font="Arial][size="2"]Current Stock:[/size][/font]
Fish -
[font="Arial][size="2"]3x Lamp Eyes[/size][/font]

[font="Arial][size="2"]Plants - [/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]Hemianthus callitrichiodes[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]Eleocharis acicularis (Dwarf Hairgrass)[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae [/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]Heteranthera zosterifolia (Water Stargrass)[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]Bacopa caroliniana (Giant Red Bacopa)[/size][/font]

[font="Arial][size="2"]Initial Pictures of Tank:[/size][/font]
Full Set-up:
DSC_0809.jpg

[font="Arial][size="2"]Eheim Spray Bar and Inlet:[/size][/font]
DSC_0814.jpg

[font="Arial][size="2"]Eheim Filter and CO2 System:[/size][/font]
DSC_0810.jpg

[font="Arial][size="2"]Plants:[/size][/font]
DSC_0808.jpg

Future Plans:

Let the tank grow out, find out how well each species of plants reacts to the tank and introduce both Red Cherry Shirmp and Bumblebee Shrimp.

Looking good, be really nice once grown in. :good:

Update 1:

After several days the water has begun to clear and I have added more plants, a breeding colony of Red Cherry Shrimp alongside some Red Crystal Shrimp (curtsey of 'Redwood'). To keep the bacteria alive in the filter media I have also introduced 3 Lamp Eyes which are loving their new home and regularly do small circuits around the tank in the flow of the water. In due time I aim to increase this number of Lamp Eyes to around 6 in order to keep them happy in a bigger group. As you can see from the pictures the plants are doing well, retaining their bright green colours while seeming to bed in successfully, however time will tell if this success continues!

DSC_0818.jpg

DSC_0830.jpg

DSC_0832.jpg

Looks great! I really love the wood and HC. I was wondering- does HC absolutely NEED ferts and CO2?

@Slimeneo - Thanks for your kind comments. I found this wood at a local aquatics centre in which it was labelled "bogwood" however found when I brought it home that it failed to float and therefore I was forced to boil it over night to get rid of air so it would sink properly! As for the HC I have tried to grow it in previous tanks that did not have a constant supply on CO2 and had very little success. The plant was able to stay alive for a while but soon turned brown and failed to spread. As for fertilisers I have used the '[font="Arial][size="2"]Tetra Plant Complete Substrate' underneath the gravel to provide the plants with a greater supply of mineral etc. for at least a year! This will hopefully set them up in good stead for the foreseeable future. So in answer to your questions, in my personal experience CO2 is needed however dependent upon the quality of your water, fertilisers are optional but recommended! [/size][/font]

Update 2:

As the more observant of you may realise I have moved my CO2 diffuser from underneath the filter in/outlets to the other side of the tank. The reason for this was because the CO2 bubbles were not in the direct flow of the outlet and we beginning to get sucked up through the inlet causes air to build up inside the filter while wasting the CO2 gas being realised! The pictures below show the new position of the diffuser on the other side of the tank and my rearrangement of the outlet spray bar to include a tubed end which provides a strong flow throughout the tank. By attaching this tube onto the spray bar the surface of the tank is still being disturbed ensuring oxygen is getting into the water while the main flow is now diverted underneath the surface water. The CO2 bubbles released from the diffuser are also getting better circulation around the tank now ensuring that less gas bubbles are wasted as they hit the surface of the water and burst into the atmosphere!

The New Set-up of my spray bar filter outlet:
DSC_0843.jpg

The new position of the CO2 diffuser showing clearly the bubbles being disturbed by the tank's water flow:
DSC_0847.jpg

this is looking great... is the moss your wanting going in here?

@mike455555 thanks for your kind words, the moss would indeed go into this tank either on the wooden arch u can see in my first pictures or on the bk wall as a moss wall type construction!

Update 3:

After two weeks the tank has started to settle down with plant growth increasing alongside the addition of a complete shoal of 6 Lamp Eyes to accompany the various breeds of shrimp. I began to notice that the Hemianthus callitrichiodes has started to yellow in colour with smaller leaves beginning to die off altogether. I therefore looked at the possible causes of this and decided that it must be to do with the amount of light being produced by the tank's LEDs. The plants were getting plenty of CO2 from the system set up and water changes were happening routinely every 5 days or so. I therefore ordered a 'Ellipse 24W Plant Pro' light which, according to the online reviews, came highly recommended and I must say that I am impressed. Below is an image of the light unit in question and pictures of it attached to the roof of my tank. Not only does it create a huge light output but also boosts the reds and blues in the light spectrum, aiding both plant growth and making colours more vibrant!

The Ellipse 24W Plant Pro in box:
DSC_0866.jpg

Once attached to the top of the tank:
DSC_0860.jpg

Frontal View:
DSC_0855.jpg

Full Tank Shot:
DSC_0858.jpg

HC will grow well quick under that mate, watch those lamp eyes at lights out, they don't half jump. I lost a school of nearly 20.

@Ps3Steveo Cheers mate, yer I heard about Lamp Eyes jumping but have yet to lose out *touch wood*. They seem really happy in this new tank and are a nice fish to stock because they seem to occupy all levels of the tank and do not stick to either upper or lower, making their presence in the tank very noticeable! The HC has pearled for the first time under this lamp! So happy my plants are finally pearling! The light has made an enormous difference!

Update 4:

After having the new light unit attached the plants have gained their beautiful greens back and the yellow leaves have disappeared! For the first time I am seeing pearling plants on a regular basis and the Lamp Eyes are loving the conditions. I am currently doing a 30-40% water change weekly which seems to help keep any potential algae growth under control. I also noticed a couple of baby Lamp Eyes spring up yesterday and when checked today I have counted a grand total of 8 baby Lamp Eyes which I am really pleased with! The eggs must be scattered in the Riccia because they are not obvious after prolonged looking! I am therefore now feeding the fry Liquifry twice a day which seems to be readily accepted by the baby Lamp Eyes. The eldest has begun to develop his trademark blue eyes which I can only assume is good news and means that they are beginning to develop at a steady rate!

Congrats on the fry, mine bred but even after a couple of weeks they were like lemmings in my tank, jump, jump, jump lol.

Most reactions

Back