300l Stocking List & Advice Please

Schmill

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
Please can someone advise on the following stocking list, and tell me if it is suitable for a 300L tank:

6-7 Abino Cory
10 Cardinal Tetra
10-11 Dwarf Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox)
2 Spotted Bulldog Pleco (187a)
4 Denison's Barb (Redline Torpedo Barb)
10 Rummy Nose Tetra
6 Guppies
?? 'some' Cherry Shrimp

One semi-concern I have at the moment is that according to the various info-sources, the tetra family like softer water, and I am in a harder water area. The ones I have already are fine, (and is says they may aclimatise), but I am hoping to order the above via mail-order, and I think it will be from a soft-water area, (or at least softer than mine), so how do I acclimatise them into my tank? Is it any different to the normaly acclimatisation you would do with new fish to add them to a tank?

Hopefully ordering today, (fingers crossed!)

Thanks! :good:
 
I would acclimatise more slowly and also maybe lok at softening your water a bit to begin with.

Just check the plecs won't become teritorial an no one can fit anyone else in there mouth but it looks ok to me
 
Not sure how I would 'temporarily' lower my water hardness?

This is the info from ThinkFish, where I haven't been able to find an exact match, (such as the pleco & the albino cory I have selected the closest match they offered):

Fish
Name
Quantity
Hardness
Temperature


Guppy (Male) 1902
3
m,h,vh
24 - 28C

All Corydoras 0502
6
vs,s,m,h,vh
22 - 26C

Denison's Barb 0117
4
vs,s,m,h
16 - 25C

Cardinal Tetra 0904
10
vs,s,m
24 - 28C

Dwarf Rainbowfish 2505
10
vs,s,m,h,vh
23 - 28C

Guppy (Female) 1902
3
m,h,vh
24 - 28C

Bulldog Catfish 0314
2
vs,s,m,h
19 - 25C

Rummy Nose Tetra 0922
10
vs,s,m
22 - 27C

Incompatabilities & Issues
  • "Denison's Barbs are too boisterous to be kept with Male Guppies"
  • "Denison's Barbs will grow too large to be kept with Cardinal Tetras"
  • "Denison's Barbs will grow too large to be kept with Rummy Nose Tetras"
  • "Denison's Barbs may be too active or grow too large to be kept with Female Guppies"

Aquarium size:
46 x 120 x 70 cm (300L)

Filtration Type:
External filter

Stocking Levels
Guide stocking level: 656.88cm Current stocking level: 218cm

Well, the stocking levels seem a bit 'generous' but I seem to remember everyone finds that anyway. So generally the warnings I am getting are regarding the Dennison barbs. Again I know ThinkFish isn't always very accurate with it's "advice" so wondered if this would be an issue or not. Although they are active fish, from what I had read I thought the Dennisons were fairly peaceful (& active), as opposed to agressive & active?

All thoughts and input welcomed :)
 
HARDNESS RESULTS:

Just done some quick tests on my tank & tap waters to check the hardness, (nb: this was with the API 5-in-1 test strips, which I know aren't great, but they are all I have for measuring hardness)

Established 60L Tank:
GH: 180
KH: 120
PH 6.5
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 40~80

300L Just completed cycle, ready for stocking
GH: 180
KH: 0
PH: 6
NitrIte: 1
NitrAte: 200
Yeah, it needs the BIG water change still...

Tap Water
GH: 180
KH: 240
PH: 7.5
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 40
 
Ph of 75 in your tap water lol i presume you mean 7.5 or it would be melting through yor taps
 
i lowered my ph easily
just go into a reliable fish shop and pick up some ph down powder or liquid and mine worked fine
 
i lowered my ph easily
just go into a reliable fish shop and pick up some ph down powder or liquid and mine worked fine

but I don't want / need to lower my Ph.....

Just wondering if anyone can advise on this sotcking list, or if I should just go ahead and order it...
 
oh sorry didnt read it properly
iv just bought a 300 litre and have been asking the same kind of questions
a shoal of any rainbow fish has been suggested a lot
the denison barbs i was told would get to big but...
apart from that i think its ok what you have listed
maybe a few larger cichlids or goramis for the top half
 
Thanks, not a fan of Cichilids and the wife doesn't like gouramis so..... :)

I think Dennisons get to about 15cm (6") when fully grown, so I thought perhaps just 4 in a 4' tank would be ok... :unsure:
 
Despite how much I / we REALLY want the Dennisons I think we are going to drop them from the stocking list and have the rummy noses instead. Although I wanted the Dennisons as 'center piece' fish I think they would just dwarf the rest of the community to much :(
 
How about some M.Lacustris (turquoise rainbows), maybe 6 in there, stunning fish.

Or I know you dont like cichlids but a severum would be nice in there.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top