30 Gallon Tank Costs

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maryland
I want a rough estimate on how much a 30 gallon tank would cost. I realize it depends on quality of parts, as well as where i buy, but I just want an estimate. The place i usually shop has 30 gallons tanks for about $55. I found this on their website, but thats all they list. They don't say prices for anything else (or even list items, literally just has tanks on the website). Also, places like Petco.com just confuse me. I can never find like what size tanks each part is made for. Its just badly organized. So, if you can all give me an estimate for like filter, air pump, gravel, heater, stand (cheap one), lights/hood that would be great. Nothing special needed, just basic equipment. Or even a website with average prices would be good. I wouldnt mind buying like filter and all online, so list the most popular places with the best prices too! Thanks

Can you tell me how much your (around 30 gallon) tank costed, along with the websites. Thanks
 
You can probably get a 29 gallon starter set with the tank, filter, heater, cover, light and a small pack of food and dechlorinator for about $130 or so at Petsmart or Petco. I haven't priced them in a while but think that will be close. The filter will be a Whisper HOB filter but will definitely do the job. If you shop online, you could possibly get the hardware a little cheaper (you will have to buy the tank locally because of the shipping costs related to a glass tank) but probably not by much.
 
Well, i got a 29 g tank for 37 dollars ( it was 52 dollars), then i bought 17 dolalrs worth of gravel ( only 10 for me, which was 20 pounds), and then i bought a hood and light for it ( cost me 28 dolalrs, but was orginally 42 dollars), and then i set up the tank with remaining things i already own.
 
Thanks, ill probably be expecting to spend $175 to get the tank setup and ready to go. If I find a proper stand. Thats not to bad. Anyone find online sites to get filter, pump, decorations cheap? Im gonna get the tank locally for shipping reasons.
 
I'm assuming you are in the US. I have bought online from bothPet Solutions and Big Al's and been very happy with the prices (and the service) I've paid.

The cost I gave for the starter kit does not include decorations, gravel or a stand. I would say you will probably be looking at close to $200 by the time you get everything you need such as a good liquid test kit (about $17), a gravel vac, gravel, food, dechlorinator, decorations/plants, a thermometer and of course fish. The tank itself is actually only a small part of the costs.
 
Well, when i said $175 i meant just the tank setup. Not including like declorinators, liquid tests, and gravel, because I already have them for my 10g tank. I also left out fish and decorations, because that depends on what i feel like later.

Thanks for the websites. They shall be a great help!

Now, i just need a way to clear up my 10g tank. I know my parents wont let me get another tank right now, because they think im not taking care of my fish, just because my tank is cloudy (I do regular water changes, might need to feed less). I need a solution, but thats in another thread.
 
You should definitely be able to get a standard 29 gallon set up for less than $175.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top