30 Gallon Stocking Idea

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mwood2

Fish Addict
Reaction score
well me and my gf plan to get a new tank in the next few months once I am moved out and where planning it to be a 30 gallon. We are thinking the Stocking below but are not sure if its understocked or if we could add more and if so anyone have ideas?

3 Molly (all female)
2 Koi Angelfish
5 Coolie Louche

Im sure we have more room but dont know what we could with the current stocking. Also on a side now, whats the min tank size for a single Discus?

3 Molly (all female)
2 Koi Angelfish
5 Coolie Louche make this up to 10, you will see more of them in bigger groups, plus their no strain on the bio-load

you need some shoaling fish in their 15 rasboras perhaps ( harlequins )

Im sure we have more room but dont know what we could with the current stocking. Also on a side now, whats the min tank size for a single Discus? 180 liters IMO although bigger would be better say 300 litres

3 Molly (all female)
2 Koi Angelfish
5 Coolie Louche make this up to 10, you will see more of them in bigger groups, plus their no strain on the bio-load

you need some shoaling fish in their 15 rasboras perhaps ( harlequins )

Im sure we have more room but dont know what we could with the current stocking. Also on a side now, whats the min tank size for a single Discus? 180 liters IMO although bigger would be better say 300 litres

So I could have the 2 Angel fish, 3 Molly, 15 rasbora AND 10 Collie Louche? Sounds a bit much (I like it though) but would this all work without any issues? Any one second this or have any other cool suggestions? I like this and so does my gf.

Just a point about the angel fish, how tall is the tank? I'm pretty sure 30 gallons will be enough, but for some odd reason if its got unusual dimensions then angels might not be the best choice due to their tall bodies.
Also not sure on the coolie loach/angel compatability, an adult angel may be able to eat a loach due to its 'noodle' like body, if it gets the chance, hopefully someone who's kept both together will be able to tell you how it went.

I dont have the tank yet, but I do plan on a 30 gallon (maybe even bigger, space and money allowing). I will look for a tall tank rather then a long when I do hunt for one.

As much as i would like a Jewel Aquarium they are no longer sold in the US. I mailed them myself and asked them.

Also I plan to buy used off craigslist

will do. Are there any other options perhaps too? While I do like what you suggested I like to hear other opinions too.

i like to keep my tanks simple, as IMO it makes a tank look bigger and more effective so sticking to 4 species would be good

in my 30 gallon i have;
1 german blue ram ( increasing to 4 and they like mature tanks)
20 neon tetras ( again like a mature tank)
5 C.plataeus ( increasing to 12)

Are you set on the angelfish/coolie loach/molly's?

If not my suggestion would be a pair of central american cichlids, you can breed them and watch the spawning/protective behaviour of the adults which you might find more interesting. Theres also the issue of what to do with the fry, this can be a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that you get to watch the parents raise them, and theres a chance of selling the fry to a LFS. The curse is that you will probably need a fry tank to rear them to a size a LFS will accept them, and some LFS wont take in fish leaving you with a bunch of fry that may be hard to rehome. But thats just what I'd do with a 30 gallon tank.

well my gf is set on keeping her Molly thats in the 10 gallon I have right now. She also would like to keep 1-2 of her fry (Only plan to keep female). We both agreed on koi Angelfish but have a hard time finding other Cichilds we like that we can buy from LFS. We have convics and Severum in the area but while I like convict she isnt a big fan. She likes Parrot fish but that best saved for 55+ gallon. We both like Louche as well. The LFS have Coolie and yoyo and Angelicus Botia. Thats basicly all we have decided for the time being and since we have a few months we have time to change our minds.

Most reactions

trending

Back