30- 40 Us Gal Upgrade

Merlock

New Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So, for about a year now I've had a green spotted puffer alone in a 20 gal. Now, i thinks its time to upgrade to around a 30 gal. I want to put a few more fish in there but don't know if they will fit or if the gsp will be too aggressive now . Here are the fish i want to put in.
T. microlepis (smaller archer fish)
Eels (peacock/ spiny or other smaller types)
D. pusilla (half beak or other type of needlefish)
Also id like to have some bumblebee gobies, monos or flonders if possible.

(The salinity is at 1.006ish now but i can raise or lower it. )
 
So, for about a year now I've had a green spotted puffer alone in a 20 gal. Now, i thinks its time to upgrade to around a 30 gal. I want to put a few more fish in there but don't know if they will fit or if the gsp will be too aggressive now . Here are the fish i want to put in.
T. microlepis (smaller archer fish)
Eels (peacock/ spiny or other smaller types)
D. pusilla (half beak or other type of needlefish)
Also id like to have some bumblebee gobies, monos or flonders if possible.

(The salinity is at 1.006ish now but i can raise or lower it. )

I am by no means a zoologist or an expert but this is what I've picked up over the last couple of years from hanging around forums:

A GSP requires around 30USG for itself and a SG of around 1.010+.
I can't remember but isn't T. microlepis a low brackish species (1.005-1.010)? It may be small for an archer but it's still failry large.
I know nothing about eels or their temperment.
Halfbeaks and bumblebee gobies only have low brackish requirements and so are incompatible.
Flounders will definately be made a meal of.
Scats, Mono's or even Archers with higher SG requirements are all possible but they all grow quite big,
Scats are fantastic in a school but you need a massive tank.

There's probably loads of other things that you could put in, have a look for Nmonk's pages, they should give you a few ideas.
 
The Green Spotted Puffer will probably eat the Bees and halfbeaks and pick at the flounder until it dies. My GSP attacked my Dragon Goby too and I had to move it to another tank but it was totally peaceful with larger fish (scats monos etc). I would not put it with smaller eels.

Monos get too big for a 30gal. They grow fast too and you need a small shoal...

30g imo is too small for the archer also but might be doable

Honestly, I would just upgrade for the GSP. He will certainly need the room.
 
yeah, i wasnt expecting to have any monos as they would get too big. as for the bumble bees or half beak, id question the puffer attacking them. hes still olny a few inches, handfeed and hastnt seen another fish that large ( about how big is that?)
my major concern was the archers and eels. if the archers did get too big i wouldnt hesitate to give them back. also any info on the eels?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top