3 weeks ago I was duped into a fish in cycle!! What next??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If there is ever a reading above zero for ammonia or nitrite, do a water change.
If ammonia and nitrite stay at zero, you need to do weekly 50% or more water changes.

Weekly water changes are to remove all sorts of things from the tank, from waste products we can't test for to micro-organisms which can cause disease, and to replenish minerals which are used up during the week. We do weekly water changes even if the water conditions don't change.

If there is ever a reading above zero for ammonia or nitrite, do a water change.
If ammonia and nitrite stay at zero, you need to do weekly 50% or more water changes.

Weekly water changes are to remove all sorts of things from the tank, from waste products we can't test for to micro-organisms which can cause disease, and to replenish minerals which are used up during the week. We do weekly water changes even if the water conditions don't change.

That's fabulous, thank you so much

Sorry, yet another question!

I have been advised that due to my KH, GH readings being low my tank will never cycle and I should start using JBK Aquadur? Is this something that you think will help without hurting the fish?

GH and KH don't make any difference to a tank cycling.
If the pH gets too low it can interfere with the cycling process but if you do a big water change a couple of times a week, the pH shouldn't move.

GH and KH don't make any difference to a tank cycling.
If the pH gets too low it can interfere with the cycling process but if you do a big water change a couple of times a week, the pH shouldn't move.

It's the fact my tap water levels are so low?

Black Phantom tetras naturally occur in soft water with little or no GH and KH. If your tap water doesn't have much KH or GH, then it's good for the tetras.

Fishless cycling can take a long time with very low KH, but as this is a fish-in cycle the tank will need a lot of water changes which will top up the KH on a regular basis.

Most reactions

trending

Back