2Ft Stiphodon Goby Tank Stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishguy1223

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'd like to ask your opinion on an idea I've had (also based on another persons goby tank). My tank has many hidey spots for the gobies however the dominant male is just too territorial and its upsetting and annoying to see him chase all the other female gobies away.

A member on another forum called Odyssey keeps gobies in a tank the same size as mine (60x30x30cm) and it actually looks similar to mine). My tank has a line of bogwood going horizontally down the middle of the tank with rocks surrounding it. This means that there's breakages in lines of sight etc.

Odyssey (or someone on the thread) made a point saying that they keep their gobies in a relatively small tank like African cichlids, as in stocking so many that no single territory is formed so it reduces aggression.

Odyssey stocks his tanks like this; eg in one tank he has almost 50 gobies with little aggression other than the odd face off over a spot of algae (this is understandable).

I have good filtration and a very powerful light for biofilm and algae growth, so what do you think about this idea if overstocking to reduce aggression and make the fish be more peaceful and 'naturalç
Bear in mind in the wild they live in groups of up to 60+ which reduces aggression much like the way I'm suggesting.

So tell me what you think. Thanks :)

My tank
http://imgur.com/T70snD2

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back