29 Gallon Breeding Tank

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maryland
I'm thinking of getting a new tank. I looked around different places, and I kinda like a 29 gallon tank at Petco. I don't have much room for anything bigger. Anyways, I want a tank I can breed fish in. The only requirement I have are:
1.) Must live with a Large Chinese Algae Eater (currently outgrowing 10 gallon tank)
2.) Single Tank (Cant be like Betta's which require two, a male and female one)
3.) Small enough to fit in 29 gallon tank with babies, until grown enough to sell)
4.) Prefer nice colors.
5.) Not livebearer, since i already have them and thier too easy
6.) Fairly Hardy (college in 2 years, so parents will care for them. Meaning missed water changes)

Thats about it I think. If you could give me a few to choose from that would be awesome. Ill have some fairly thick plants for eggs and fry to grow in. If breeder net is required, Ill get one.

THANKS!!!
 
I'm thinking of getting a new tank. I looked around different places, and I kinda like a 29 gallon tank at Petco. I don't have much room for anything bigger. Anyways, I want a tank I can breed fish in. The only requirement I have are:
1.) Must live with a Large Chinese Algae Eater (currently outgrowing 10 gallon tank)
2.) Single Tank (Cant be like Betta's which require two, a male and female one)
3.) Small enough to fit in 29 gallon tank with babies, until grown enough to sell)
4.) Prefer nice colors.
5.) Not livebearer, since i already have them and thier too easy
6.) Fairly Hardy (college in 2 years, so parents will care for them. Meaning missed water changes)

Thats about it I think. If you could give me a few to choose from that would be awesome. Ill have some fairly thick plants for eggs and fry to grow in. If breeder net is required, Ill get one.

THANKS!!!

mate i wouldnt really bother if your not going to spend time to change water every day with the fry etc,,,,,
bristlenose plecs breed easy but obviously if your away at college do you exspect your parents to do the hard work for you?
 
I never said I wouldn't do all the water changes. I just said after two years, which I hope is after my first set of babies, Ill have to separate the male and female, so I don't have any more babies. Can I just have some suggestions please? Ill look into those plecs.

I think i like Yellow Labs. I posted in the Cichlid Section to get a more expert opinion on scenario.
 
What is possibly the easiest fish to breed, which lays eggs? Must fit in 29 Gallon tank. Thanks
 
Post in the oddballs section and ask about killifish. They're colorful, and most are easy to breed. I don't know much about them, but you could have a nice colony in a tank that size. Oh, just reading your first post, I'm not sure how they'd do with a CAE. It might decide to eat them.

You could also look into wild type bettas which can live in a colony like the killies. I don't know much about these, either, but look into Betta imbellis, Betta channoides, Betta albimarginata, and such.

Also, depending on the pH of your water, you might be able to get away with Apistogramma cacatuoides or Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

I've never kept any of these, but would like to, and have heard good things about them :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top