200L Stocking Advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

doge

Reaction score
Hi I've recently bought a 200 litre aquarium and a fluval 306 external filter and have started cycling yesterday. Now I'm thinking what kind of fish to put in my tank and I was hoping to get some advice.

5 x Sterbai Cory
10 x Cardinal Tetra
1 x Dwarf Gourami
6 x Male Guppies
10 x Galaxy Rasbora
6 x Zebra Danio
6 x Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
3 x Black Molly (1 male 2 females)

Welcome to the forum :)

Do you know how hard your water is? You have a bit of a mixture of fish there, some that prefer hard water and some that would like it softer, so if we know what your water's like (you can look on your supplier's website, if you're not sure, or tell us how much limescale you get), you can get the fish that will be happiest and healthiest in your tank :)

fluttermoth said:
Welcome to the forum
smile.png

Do you know how hard your water is? You have a bit of a mixture of fish there, some that prefer hard water and some that would like it softer, so if we know what your water's like (you can look on your supplier's website, if you're not sure, or tell us how much limescale you get), you can get the fish that will be happiest and healthiest in your tank
smile.png

Just checked and it seems to be hard water

Hi, I have a 222 litre tank, and have done a lot of research on stocking. I will be paying close attention to this thread, see if any fish interest me! :)

One thing to note though, that Galaxy Rasbora (also known as "Celestial Pearl Danios") are very small, even for a schooling fish(an easy snack) and also very expensive.

First of all, if your water's hard, I would drop the cardinals (which do better in soft water) and up the numbers of the rainbows instead.

I would also drop the CPD (celestial pearl danios/galaxy rasboras). They are very shy fish and do better in species only set ups. When I had my dwarf emerald danios (a closely related species) in a community tank, they just all hung around in the very back corner and I barely saw them.

Another fish you'll want to drop is the zebra danios. They really don't like true, tropical temperatures and do best in unheated tanks.

I know we're knocking an awful lot of things off your list, but it's for the best really. Even shoaling fish, in the security of your tank, won't school tightly and will form more of a loose group. Too many species and you'll end up with  tank that looks a bit 'messy'.

I don't know how well the sterbai cories wil do in hard water either; I'm sure someone will though :)

fluttermoth said:
First of all, if your water's hard, I would drop the cardinals (which do better in soft water) and up the numbers of the rainbows instead.

I would also drop the CPD (celestial pearl danios/galaxy rasboras). They are very shy fish and do better in species only set ups. When I had my dwarf emerald danios (a closely related species) in a community tank, they just all hung around in the very back corner and I barely saw them.

Another fish you'll want to drop is the zebra danios. They really don't like true, tropical temperatures and do best in unheated tanks.

I know we're knocking an awful lot of things off your list, but it's for the best really. Even shoaling fish, in the security of your tank, won't school tightly and will form more of a loose group. Too many species and you'll end up with  tank that looks a bit 'messy'.

I don't know how well the sterbai cories wil do in hard water either; I'm sure someone will though
smile.png

I really really don't want to drop the cardinals :(
I'm fine with dropping the galaxy rasboras and danios, would you recommend any other fish to replace them?

You might get away with cardinals, if you're desperate for them, especially if you can source tank bred ones.

I wouldn't replace the two danios with anything else; you've already got a lot of species. Up the number of the rainbows or the cardinals. All shoaling fish do better (and look better) in as large a shoal as possible.

fluttermoth said:
You might get away with cardinals, if you're desperate for them, especially if you can source tank bred ones.

I wouldn't replace the two danios with anything else; you've already got a lot of species. Up the number of the rainbows or the cardinals. All shoaling fish do better (and look better) in as large a shoal as possible.

Ok thank you for your help. Now another question, will the fluval U4 internal filter that comes with the Roma 200 be enough or should I use an external 306? My only concern is that I'll have to cut through the top and mess it up

5 x Sterbai Cory
15 x Cardinal Tetra
1 x Dwarf Gourami
6 x Male Guppies
6 x Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
3 x Black Molly (1 male 2 females)

also boeseman rainbowfish would be too large for guppies and cardinals right?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back