20 Gallon Rescape

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The only issue is is that I dont know if I have amazon swords in there or not! I thought the one thats in the back over there was an amazon sword and now i'm rather confused. Would you let the anubias float? 

that big rock was supposed to be a centerpiece rock haha. Would you say to remove it completely? I am just nervous about finding wood and sticking it in my tank, lol. 

In person the rocks are not as bright as they are on the web and its a really nice look. This is taken with my phone and so the light handling is slightly sub par - there is definitely more grey than you can see here.

TallTree01 said:
Yes you can bury their roots. I think it's only anubias and * maybe * java fern who need them above,

Your tank looks better now.
smile.png

What is the ' golden ration ' ?
The golden ratio is a theory in art and photography / visual things that helps specify the ideal / classically ideal focal points of a landscape / image. I think it might also be called the rule of thirds.

If you like it, then that's the main thing, leave it the way it is.
I soaked my branch for about an hour and the bark started coming off. It was very messy, loads of bark in the bath but it looks great lol. 

No, I am enjoying getting your advice! I promise! haha

SamB said:
No, I am enjoying getting your advice! I promise! haha

Haha secretly cursing :p 
The other thing you could do, if you like the big rock is keep the big rock and the surrounding rocks and take the others away where I have put the arrow at 3. Just another suggestion. 

OH! yeah, I see that that looks like a second grouping. 

SamB said:
OH! yeah, I see that that looks like a second grouping. 

Yeah, just play about with it, at the end of the day it's your tank, you scape it how you want :)

You all should give classes....I am stealing ideas!   I just last week put in the pea gravel and am already making plans to take it all out!  I want a very natural, planted tank too.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 70
TallTree01 said:
Yes you can bury their roots. I think it's only anubias and * maybe * java fern who need them above,
Your tank looks better now. :)
What is the ' golden ration ' ?
You can bury the "roots" of both Anubis and java fern, but you CANNOT bury the "rhizome" horizontal green stem-looking thing that all the leaves grow out of. Burying that will cause it to rot and the plant to die. But the hairlike thinner strands "roots" can be submerged. Just be sure that the rhizome stays out in the water column. Super glue can be used to attach this to rocks or wood, until the "rots"grow and anchors it to the wood/stone itself.

petco/petsmart do have branches, sometimes they are in the reptile section.  Mopani wood.  You have to watch it sometimes when you first use it you will get a thick white, mucus/film that comes out of the wood.  Its not harmful to the fish but does cloud up your tank.  This can go away in a few days or, if the piece has a lot of sap in it, up to a year to stop.  But these stores charge a ridiculous amount for a piece of wood.

I have mopani wood in one of my other tanks and it's not very branch-y, more just a large piece of wood. I have seen some great vine-esque / branched pieces of wood in other tanks that I am quite envious of! 

Thanks for the advice re plants eagles! 

I have re-adjusted the location of some of my plants and am searching for some great valis in atlanta today :D

Look for manzanita wood.

Ok, update on the tank. I got a bunch of new plants, so the tank went from:

20130711_223338.jpg

To:

20130714_234502.jpg

:D

Thanks! I think it blends the rocks really well 

This is definitely what I'd call a rescape! Looks terrific!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back