2 Quick Fishy Questions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Munch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Q1. My dad has a red belly piranha in a tank on its own (i aint sure on the tank size) and i was wondering if a rubber nose pleco would survive in the tank because his tank gets alot of algue due to it been in the sun all day.

Q2. I have a 18 gallon tank that will be empty soon and i was just wondering how many Pygmy Puffers i would be able to SAFELY keep in the tank without over stocking.. but if i cant get hold of any Pygmy Puffers then what puffers would you surgest and how many?

Thanx
Chris

Ask about piranhas in the characin section ;)

I would say that 3-4 pygmy (dwarf) puffers could fit in, but you would need several caves and hiding places, as well as live or fake plants to hide in/behind :)

I don't think putting something new in with the piranha is a good idea. Reduce the amount of algae by doing more water changes. How high are your nitrAtes? Also decrease the hours per day the lights are on and check your water for high phosphates.

Red bellies are supposed to be kept in a shoal. If the tank is large enough (at least 150 gallons) I'd urge you to get a few more of a similar size. I hope you are aware of their size? They grow to 12 inches.

Yes, 4 would be good number. As for the P, you'll get more of response in the characin section, but I'll answer it here. First of all, a plec - of any kind, would not completly clean up the algae. My idea is to just get a good scraper, and scrape it off then siphon it out. It probably wouldn't be great idea to try to put a plec in with the piranha (RBP, which should be kept in groups, but can be kept singly, though I wouldn't advise it), because it may end up as RBP-food.

I'm really not sure, but from what I know that sounds like it would be fine... I try to stay away from puffers, and some of you know why... However, I'm sure that either Sirminion or Ladyminion will answer your question very quickly (Once again guys, sorry about Sluggie) :) .

Munch said:
Would this tank be soutible for a single Congo puffer?
If you mean the Piranha tank, NO! If you mean the 18 gallon, NO! For one thing, Congo Tetras get quite large, too large even for my 33 gallon. Secondly, they are a shoaling/schooling fish.
Sean

I'm assuming that he wouldn't even think about putting it in with the P, and I could've sworn that I read that he was talking about putting it in 55... Hmmm, guess not :blink: Anyway, just apply my above message to a 55 and you'll be fine. :D

Yes, I know, I was thinking of a different post :whistle: . Like I said, apply my above post to 55 and you should be great!

Yes 18 gallons would be fine for a single Congo puffer.

Remember that congos spend 95% of their life buried in the substrate so sand is a must. If the Congo cannot bury himself he may die of stress.

Because of the way they hunt (they wait for the food to come to them) Congos are also one of the most difficult puffers to wean onto dead foods. We managed to get sluggie to eat frozen mussel very occasionally, but he mainly ate fortified live ghostshrimp, earthworms & mealworms.

Congos are the only puffer that will not eat snails under any circumstances so we had a couple of apple snails in his tank as clean up crew.

Congos also need spotless water conditions and low light.

To Sean - who said anything about Tetras?

SirMinion said:
Sorry, I read the post wrong.... :*) That'll teach me to skim! :D
Sean
EDIT: Sir and Lady Minion, sorry about Sluggie...he sounded like a fun fish!

SirMinion said:
Yes 18 gallons would be fine for a single Congo puffer.

Remember that congos spend 95% of their life buried in the substrate so sand is a must. If the Congo cannot bury himself he may die of stress.

Because of the way they hunt (they wait for the food to come to them) Congos are also one of the most difficult puffers to wean onto dead foods. We managed to get sluggie to eat frozen mussel very occasionally, but he mainly ate fortified live ghostshrimp, earthworms & mealworms.

Congos are the only puffer that will not eat snails under any circumstances so we had a couple of apple snails in his tank as clean up crew.

Congos also need spotless water conditions and low light.

Thanx for the info SirMinion,

Do congo puffers eat live crabs? because i have 1 red crab and at the moment he is in a tank all on his own but im gettin rid of that tank soon and he will need a new home.

Could you post a couple of pictures of sluggie's old home if you have any please? Im lookin for ideas for a new tank setup :p

This is my setup at the mo but it aint stayin like that:

18 Metric Gallon Setup
PIC_0035.JPG

My Spotted Guppy Fry
PIC_0017.JPG

We never tried Sluggie with a live crab, but I have no doubt he would have eaten one if we'd tried.

Sluggie's tank was just an 80L fluvel tank with sand substrate, a few plastic plants and some hornwort to provide shade.

You tank looks fine as long as you change to sand. I'm sure that the congo wouldn't complain if you left those guppies in there either. yum yum ;)

SirMinion said:
I'm sure that the congo wouldn't complain if you left those guppies in there either. yum yum ;)
Yer i bet :p,
Cant wait till christmas is over and i have some cash to stock up on fish and equiptment :)

Most reactions

Back