2 Filters

-SPB-

Fish Addict
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
778
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
Stevenage, UK
I have 2 filters in my tank, 1 tetratec ex1200 and one Rena Filstar XP2.

I keep the ex1200 running 24/7, is it ok to keep the Rena on for maybe 12-16 hrs, and turn it off, or am I going to run into some issues.

Cheers.
 
The only issues I can think of is that you are probably not going to have a very sufficient amount of beneficial bacteria in that filter.

The only purpose for having a filter run half the time is more for mechanical/chemical filtration more than biological filtration.

I would not do this though, just because if there is any beneficial bacteria in that filter, then when you turn it off, you are going to have little mini spikes in ammonia and/or nitrite.

Unless you want to add mechanical filtration or some carbon to that one filter to get some excess meds or discoloration out, I would not do it.

Either run it all the time, or do not run it all is what I would say.

-FHM
 
As it's in the room I sleep in and it's fairly noisy compared to the ex1200, I want to use it just to polish the water, but if it's gonna do more harm than good, io'd rather not turn it off at all.
 
As it's in the room I sleep in and it's fairly noisy compared to the ex1200, I want to use it just to polish the water, but if it's gonna do more harm than good, io'd rather not turn it off at all.
If you want to do this, are you thinking on adding filter floss?

If you add filter floss to polish the water, make sure to change it out or clean it out REALLY good every day.

This will ensure that no bacteria grow in there, and then when you turn it off at night there will be no spike in ammonia or nitrite.

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top