2 Course Dinner

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
hi all
I'm after inspiration for a 2 course dinner (starter and main)
so what are your favourites?

who's the lady friend then wolfy :hey: :p

Tsk Tsk Tsk Geo, can't a guy eat a 2 course dinner on his own? I'd be quite annoyed if I was the lady and got served a 2 course dinner instead of a 3 course :p

As for my fav,
Starter: Smoked Salmon Pancakes - and not what you find when you google
Pancakes, lettuce mix (of your choice, I prefer mild mixes myself, spinach works too), smoked salmon & creme fraiche.

I'm no good at making pancakes myself, so I tend to buy the pre-made just warm up type of pancake. Once cooled down spread some creme fraiche on the pancakes, put some lettuce leafs & salmon strips on it and just roll it all up. You might need some toothpicks to keep it closed. Cut it into 3 or 4 pieces because it's easier to eat that way ... and that's it. It's worth mentioning that untill you get the hang of it the pancakes will probably rip and you'll end up with a mess. Still tastes nice though.

Main course: Grilled Cajun Chicken, Whole green beans wrapped in bacon (problem is you need really thin bacon which I haven't been able to find in England) & deep fried chips/fries. Usually I have a fruit salad along the side as well, but I guess you could class that a dessert. Now, I'm sure you can figure out how to make all that :p The whole beans & bacon (if you can find suitable bacon or maybe some type of ham) is really easy as well. Just cook the beans like you would usually do and wrap them up in bacon. Just put them in a pan with some hot butter and turn them untill the bacon has sealed shut and it won't unroll anymore. That's all there is to it

What I mean with thin bacon, this is what it would look like (though this example has carrot as well as beans):
baconrolletje.jpg

thanks for that E, I'll keep it in mind :nod:
anyone else?

Geo, ask no questions and you'll be told no lies :p

dunno what to suggest for starter but a dead easy and absolutely gorgeous dinner i did the other week is trout with jersey royals and asparagus

did it all in a 3 tier steamer, potatoes boiled in the bottom bit for about 20 mins, steam the trout for about 10 mins in the middle bit and the asparagus in the top bit for about 8 minutes. then make up a nice herb butter and drizzle it over the whole lot. absolutely gorgeous, dead healthy, seasonal so you can get excellent quality ingredients, quick and easy :good:

What kind of thing are you looking for? I have loads of recipes up my sleeve but the last time we talked i'm sure you said you only eat meat so that makes things a bit difficult.

If its for a lady friend and you dont usually cook much i'd suggest keeping it simple, theres nothing worse than attempting a fantastic looking dish only to mess it up and either serve a substandard plate or have to order a take away. Steak with a nice sauce and a few new potatoes served with a green salad is always a winner and can be cooked by anyone, choose good quality cuts like fillet, sirloin or ribeye rather than a big hunk of rump or frying steak.

Supply a little more information such as likes and dislikes, budget and cooking skills and i'll try and bung you a couple of recipes to fit.

ok
here is what I was thinking
something along the lines of scallops (although no idea what style to do them in) for the starter
and maybe a roast pussion or guinea fowl with some seasonal veg (pots, peas etc)

the meal is for me and a female friend I havn't seen in 6 months.
she has a new job in Saudi and will leave for a 3 year contract.
neither of us 'do dessert'

Thats easy then.

For the scallops first roughly chop four cloves or garlic and then gently fry the garlic in butter for about 4 minutes until it is softened, keep the heat as low as possible because garlic burns very easily and burnt garlic tastes disgusting. Once the garlic is softened turn the heat up slightly and add the scallops cooking them for around 2 minutes each side before transferring them to bed of fresh wild rocket on a plate.

For your pousin allow one pousin per person. Cut the birds along their breast bone with a pair of sissors and open them out flat, rub each one with fresh pesto on the meat side up and dress with 4 halved cherry tomatos and a slab of fresh mozzerrela cheese on each breast. Roast in the oven at around 180c for 30 minutes, after this time test to see if it is cooked by inserting the tip of a knife into the thickest part of the breast, if the juices run clear then it is cooked if their is pink in the juiced give them another 10 minutes.

Serve the pousin with roasted mediteranian vegetables like peppers and courgettes, take your prepared selected veggies toss them in olive oil with a teaspoon of dried rosemary and thyme and roast with the pousin at 180c for 30 minutes.

thanks for that CFC :good:
I will try it out first before next Friday night

Thats easy then.

For the scallops first roughly chop four cloves or garlic and then gently fry the garlic in butter for about 4 minutes until it is softened, keep the heat as low as possible because garlic burns very easily and burnt garlic tastes disgusting. Once the garlic is softened turn the heat up slightly and add the scallops cooking them for around 2 minutes each side before transferring them to bed of fresh wild rocket on a plate.

For your pousin allow one pousin per person. Cut the birds along their breast bone with a pair of sissors and open them out flat, rub each one with fresh pesto on the meat side up and dress with 4 halved cherry tomatos and a slab of fresh mozzerrela cheese on each breast. Roast in the oven at around 180c for 30 minutes, after this time test to see if it is cooked by inserting the tip of a knife into the thickest part of the breast, if the juices run clear then it is cooked if their is pink in the juiced give them another 10 minutes.

Serve the pousin with roasted mediteranian vegetables like peppers and courgettes, take your prepared selected veggies toss them in olive oil with a teaspoon of dried rosemary and thyme and roast with the pousin at 180c for 30 minutes.

:drool: :drool:

i know what i'm cooking when i next get paid! that sounds yummy

ok that went petetong :S

first course is sorted, Coquilles St Jacques.

it is the main course that is missing something, one more ingredient to finish it off but I'm stumped.

roast pousin on a raft of asparagus tips
####ake mushrooms in a mustard bechamel sauce (fairly thick sauce)
and ???

I just can't think of something else to 'bulk' it out
any ideas?

Well, the Chat verdict is something fairly bland so as not to make it too OTT, so we reckoned some sort of crushed potato, or duchess potatoes.

gratin dauphinoise....
add some mustard to theme it in with your mushies or i'm sure the two could be made as one...
Personally i'd say you need something really light though, fresh and summery to compliment the asparagus, so parmesan crisps with a drizzle of 5* balsamic vinegar flavoured with a tiny, tiny splash of good virgin oil if it was me. Dead easy too....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back