1St Topic And After Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brett_dale

Reaction score
Hey all its my first post in this area and im after some advice, my wife and i decided we want a tropical aquarium, we were originally thinking of the small ones you see in places like pets at home but after research (lots of) we decided bigger is better and easier to look after.

we settled on a 24*15*12 aquarium (not so big by some standards but we feel a good starter size), a 100 w heater and a hagen fluval u1 filter (we know its slightly undersized but will consider adding a second filter at a later date). We are going for a live planted aquarium and so far have 4 unknown (pets at home) plants in there (more to follow) with a 15watt full spectrum uv light. All set up on the 1st aug

We are aware that the setup needs cycling and when everything has settled down to good lvls fish will be added slowly and over time so as to let everything adjust and not create spikes.

The aquatics shop were using (not pets at home) ran a quick test on the water tuesday, its been running just under 24 hrs and we have around 2ppm ammonia and small amount of nitrites starting to build up already.

stock list wise we have been researching and asking for advice and it would seem the scarlet badis and the kribensis we were originally planning for "can" get aggressive so they have been striked of the list.

Possible stock list were looking at.
2 x cockatoo Apisto (1 x male 1 x female)
1 x Peacock Gudgeon (1 x male)
1 x Betta Imbellis (1 x male)
2 x Amano Shrimp (unknown)
1 x Red Cherry Shrimp

at a later date we will probably add a 2nd filter or upgrade and increase to

3 x cockatoo Apisto (1 x male 2 x female)
2 x Peacock Gudgeon (1 x male 1 x unknown)
2 x Betta Imbellis (1 x male 1 x female)
2 x Amano Shrimp (unknown)
1 x Red Cherry Shrimp (unsure on this one, the only reason i dont plan for a pair is because i dont want to be over run, i heard the cherry shrimp breed like rabbits whereas the amano shrimp are fairly hard to get breeding)

of course all this requires further research and i know we have plenty of time to do this while the tank is cycling.

Thanks in advance

Brett

What are you using to introduce the ammonia to the tank?

currently nothing :/

other than maybe a hitch hiking snail and some small traces of dying plants.

Saturday i will be making a trip out to purchase some pure ammonia and the required test kits, i realise that's kind of a few wasted days cycling, but we decided to read up and research everything before we started cycling.

You didn't mention using mature filter media, so I assume that you didn't use any. In that case, you shouldn't have any nitrite showing yet, and I'm amazed that you have any ammonia as well. I must admit I doubt the validity of those test results - it doesn't fit with what I know about filter cycling.

Have a read of the various cycling topics here. It's a mine of very useful information, and may well help you avoid problems and dead fish in the long term.

I'm no expert on stocking levels, so I don't want to comment on that - there are plenty of other people who are much more competent on that. I will just say that if you get your Betta Imbellis, I will be VERY VERY jealous, as I'd love a pair of those - I just don't have tank room at the moment.

Well, if you do have Ammonia and Nitrite in there then it's not been wasted at all...

I know very little about stocking but hopefully someone will be along to let you know if that's suitable

Planted is definitely the way forward I think, so good move on that one - it might be worth finding out what the plants are as I have seen Maidenhead Aquatics selling non aquatic plants (not sure if P@Home do too).

Oh, and good luck!

knowing pets at home there probably not aquatic, we did and still do have a list of the plants we would like to get, these were more of an impulse buy :/ so the tank would'nt look so empty.

not sure if anyone can help id them, ill start trawling the web.

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

Ok, the top one is Amazon Sword - I have some of that and it grows really well, it's even about to flower. Number 3 is Valis - this is another common aquatic plant, but mine seems to struggle a bit and is falling apart somewhat.

Number 2 looks a bit like my hornwort, but I'm not quite sure as it it looks a little different. If it Hornwort then this will grow rampantly in the tank!

I don't know what the last one is, it looks quite nice tho....

amazon sword, cabomba, not sure (i'd say vallis) and water wisteria.

all good plants for a beginner really, other than possibly the vallis which a lot of people seem to struggle with!

What test kits are you using? If youre just using p@h id strongly advise you to get your own test kits, incase of emergency, for example, what if your fish start looking ill at 9pm on a sunday night, what will you do then?

Also, 1 cherry shrimp will be very lonely! They do breed quite fast yes, but easily taken care of, lots of people are willing to buy cherries, and lfs will usually take them. you probably wont see one anyway, i have 9 atm in my 36 gallon, and i only ever see three at a time!

all good plants for a beginner really, other than possibly the vallis which a lot of people seem to struggle with!

Funnily enough, I found the opposite - I had 4 plants, but I only have the Vallis left, and that's taken over.

Plant no 3 looks like Echinodorus tenellus, pygmy chain sword.

Number 3 looks like Lilaeopsis brasiliensis to me, or E.tenellus

Hanny is bang on with the others, 1 Is Echinodorus amazonicus, 2 is Cabomba caroliniana, 4 is Hygrophila difformis.

They are all aquatic anyway, that's the main thing!

hahaha all these scientific names! now you mention it sbs id say yes pygmy chain sword, looks like what i used to have in my tank.

well good to know there all aquatic varieties, thank you all :good:

As far as the plants go i think i made a mistake :X i listened to the person from the store and planted them complete in there little ceramic rings :/, i was told to put them in then after a month or so remove them, split them up and replant. Well they started to look a bit brown and not so healthy :( , after lots of reading and watching of vids i have now removed them from the foam, wool and rings they were been strangled by, cleaned up all the dead matter and replanted them a little more spread out, i have also cut down there lights on time from 12 hrs to around 10 hrs.

well done one taking them out etc, but your lights should be less than 10hrs, more like 6 :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back