1 X Clown (nemo)
1 X Regal tang
1 X Royal Gramma
1 X Dottyback
2 X Cleaner shrimp
Many hermets
A few snails
25kg live rock
Loads of soft corral, a couple of little bits of hard corral.

So how many fish would be best?

Apart from the regal tang I am wanting to stick to small fish.

I am reading that 1inch of fish per Ltr, is this a good rule of thumb?

A Regal grows much to big for your tank

Also they are whitespot magnets

IMO your tank is much to small for any tang

How about a few more Chromis - they are happier in a shoal

Another nice fish is a Chalk bass - they can be kept in groups

How is the Gramma copying with the Dottyback? Grammas usally come out 2nd best with Dottybacks

its not really a matter for how many of fish, it depends more on how large the adult size of the fishes and what type of fish (for compatability)

i agree with the tang probably outgrowing (i've read that tangs in general need a lot of growing space AND swimming space since they are not territorial fish and are nomadic)

and i was told 1 inch of adult size fish per gallon (about 2 liters) but this is different for different fishes because of swimming space and other needs

2 X Cromis (I believe these are shoaling fish and like to be in big groups of 4+ or single/pair, BUT i could be wrong)
1 X Clown (nemo) (a pair is nice to have, but one will be fine if you only want one)
1 X Regal tang (as stated above)
1 X Royal Gramma (I heard these fish can be a bit agressive but i never had agression issues)
1 X Dottyback (same as Gramma)
2 X Cleaner shrimp (sure why not)
Many hermets (don't forget the shells)
A few snails (try to get a good variety)
25kg live rock ( :good: )
Loads of soft corral, a couple of little bits of hard corral. (don't forget to watch you calc and other stuff with hard corals, softies are easy =])

You could try:
yellow watchman goby, wheeler goby, clown goby, hector goby, pink-spot watchman goby, pink bar goby
midas blenny, tail-spot blenny, One Spot Blenny, bicolor blenny
firefish
reef-safe wrasses (carpenter flasher, 6 line, fairy, mccosker flasher)
pajama cardinals
other types of clowns (like black and white, skunk)
yellow tail damsel (this is one of the more peaceful damsels but should still be added as one of your last fish)

im not really sure how many fish you could have, i only have 8 small fish in my 55 gal, and it looks empty and understock but under is better then over, depends on what fish

Hope, this helps, and sorry if i got something wrong, i'm sure someone will fix me

It depends on the size of fish, how they get along and the equipment your using
Look at dwarf angels and small reef safe wrasse

Hey thanks Guys

I meant to say 1 inch per gallon.

My Regal is small at the mo and seems happy enough, I guess I can only see what happens as it grows. I can always take it back to the shop or take to a friends with a big, I mean big tank. I have however seen them in smaller tanks in the shops? and the shop I bought from did say it would be ok for my size tank, they do have many many tiny Regals so maybe this are tank bread? I dont know but I have options if it looks unhappy.

The Dottyback went in two days ago and Gramma only yesterday so its to early to say if there getting on or not. But theres plenty holes and crannies for them both to establish homes, I would hope anyhow.

I dont want loads of fish and I want to keep em small, so I might just go for another Clown and maybe one more other small fish I would like a dwarf angelfish, maybe a Coral Beauty, would you think this should be ok?

Hey thanks Guys

I meant to say 1 inch per gallon.

My Regal is small at the mo and seems happy enough, I guess I can only see what happens as it grows. I can always take it back to the shop or take to a friends with a big, I mean big tank. I have however seen them in smaller tanks in the shops? and the shop I bought from did say it would be ok for my size tank, they do have many many tiny Regals so maybe this are tank bread? I dont know but I have options if it looks unhappy.

The Dottyback went in two days ago and Gramma only yesterday so its to early to say if there getting on or not. But theres plenty holes and crannies for them both to establish homes, I would hope anyhow.

I dont want loads of fish and I want to keep em small, so I might just go for another Clown and maybe one more other small fish I would like a dwarf angelfish, maybe a Coral Beauty, would you think this should be ok?

I would not trust any advise from a shop that's says a Regal Tang is OK for your size tank

As you say you can move it on when it outgrows your tank

Regals are not tank bred and grow very fast - I had one from tiny to over 6" in less than 6 months

A coral Beauty sounds good

marine fish dont apply to the 1" oper gallon rule, no where near.

At teh end of the day, that shops out to make money. They are going to tell you fish will be fine when they wont to get their sale. That regal could grow upto 10" possibly a bit more. They grow very fast too.

Adding two fish in three days is too fast aswel

is a coral beauty ok for a reef? i thought they nip corals

and i suppose the tang will be ok if your willing to rehome it when it gets larger, i would just save the trouble of having to chase it around your tank and just get a reef-safe wrasse

I called into the shop tonight with the view to getting a coral beauty and a clown to finish my tank off. After looking closely at the coral beauty I was not so keen compared to the Potter's Pygmy Angelfish which was in the next tank. So I ended up coming away with just the clown fish.

Nemo is enraptured to be reunited with his dad, soon to become his/her mate, which is something I will need to explain to my children. Really pleased I got another clown and hope they settle into my big elegance corral.

Looking at the tank now and couple this with the info that possibly "all" angles are not totally reef safe, I am going to sit back on my tank for a little while and let things settle. I may not bother with another fish, as I have been put off the angles and as yet have not seen anything else that is floating my boat.

I think you might be right I have put to many fish in at once here, three in 5 days! I might regret this, but hope not, all but the Regal are hardy fish.

It is a shame the tang will have to go eventually, but we will enjoy in the mean time.

I will post an updated photo soon.

Sometimes they're OK, smoetimes they turn into nippers. No rhyme or reason to it...

I have read that if the angel isn't fed enough then it may resort to polyp nipping.

I have had a coral beauty for about 3 months and have had no bother with it.

Hi Guys

Heres an update of pictures.

tank1.jpg

tank11.jpg

tank111.jpg

tank1111.jpg

tank11111.jpg

tank111111.jpg

Ps

I got a Rusty Angle fish today! Beauty! Could not get a photo as it has not emerged from the rock more than to have a little glance, then back to safty. But its just what I wanted to finish my stock off.

I also bought a trap in case he/she thinks it can help its self to my corrals. I dont mind it having a little peck at the abundant polyps but if it touches the elegance its out the door.

Most reactions

Back