FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

donkey

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello all
is a 180 watts ok to grow plants with over a 50 UK gallon tank

:dunno:

What type of lighting - I assume fluorescent T8/T5?

3.6 WPG is a lot of light over a 50G - the WPG rule becomes more leanient as tank size increases.

Assuming it is good quality light with reflectors then you will definitely require CO2, I strongly recommend pressurized in a 50G, DIY will cause unstable CO2 leading to potential algae issues. With 3.6 WPG you leave little room for error where algae is concerned. Get your CO2 sorted BEFORE lighting - aim for a stable 30ppm, this will be very easy with a pressurized system.

You will need to plant heavily with fast-growers from the outset to establish a biological equilibrium and fend off algae. See the pinned algae article for a list of suitable plants.

I highly recommend using EI too. With the inevitable growth rates you will experience you will go through a lot of ferts. EI is very cheap and very effective. Since using it I haven't experienced ANY algae issues whatsoever.

theres 2x T5 and 2x T8 over the tank . what kind of fast growing plants would be best for a set up like this ,and how much ferts would i need to have .i am getting a pressurized co2 . would it be better to take the two T8s off the tank ?
:cool:

Extracted from the pinned algae article -

Hygrophila species
Ludwigia species
Rotala species
Egeria species
Brazilian Water Ivy
Small Ambulia
Mexican Oak Leaf
Water Sprite
Hornwort
Floating plants (careful they don’t block too much light)

I recommend buying your macronutrients from here -
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=101458 and your micronutrients (Plantex CSM+B ) from here
http://www.gregwatson.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CSMPlantex1
I would buy 500g of Potassium nitrate and Potassium phosphate. I personally don't bother with the Potassium sulphate.

And 1lb of Plantex CSM+B.

These will all last you years, the KNO3 being used up the quickest but still lasting well over a year.

As for lighting - stick with what you have, you'll be able to grow anything. Just ensure you get your CO2 and ferts sorted beforehand.

Thanks for that
can the stuff from greg watson be sent to the U.K

Thanks .im new to all this plant stuff .and that stuff from greg watson looks a little hard to mix and dose to me .

It is daunting at first once you've figured it out there's no turning back.....and no algae!

Just ask any questions you may have. zig's article is a good start and he is our resident expert. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to answer any queries as will I - spare time permitting of course!

EI is the way forward in this hobby, it would be great if we had another UK user. As a country we are embarssingly far behind the US etc. You only have to see the previous entrants in the three biggest international aquascaping contests to see that.

Regards,
George

Thanks George
everthing you are telling me is a big help to me .i have kept fish for a very long time but plants is all new to me .my first lot of plants died cos of BGA so i dont want to get it wrong this time .so now i have co2 .and i want to get my ferts right this time .do you have any links on how to mix the greg watson stuff .
Thanks again mate

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back