125ltr Stocking

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Cheers! Will see go for gourami first and see how they fair.

Will post some pics once they're in!

20181007_171941.jpg
20181007_171941.jpg
The 3 Gourami are in.

All seem to be exploring the new tank, none of the shyness I have read other people experiencing. Ofcourse my girlfriend had me buy the one male with a bit of a dodgy eye. Watched him for a while in the shop and it didn't seem to both him.
One thing I noticed is that one of the females seems to be having a problem with her tail fin. I think it must have happened when she was netted. I've attached a picture, it doesn't seem to effect her swimming I'm just concerned, will it heal?
f2QQdp

jAfiyp

Can you post another picture of the female without the male near her? I can't tell where she starts and he finishes.

It looks like a genetic defect but she also has some damage to the end of the tail and a bit of red where the tail joins the body.

Monitor her over the next few days and see how she goes. With any luck, being put into a clean tank will help her recover without any medication and her tail should recover quickly if it doesn't get worse.

Thanks alot.

Will keep an eye on her, happy to give her a nice tank to be looked after in :)

I also realised that after all this help you guys still don't know what my whole set up looks like so here it is!
20181007_182718.jpg

Not a big fan of the pictures tbh - going to go for some white card I think, or maybe black will see what I can find.

Also good news is the Gourami are eating the white bacteria on the wood

Don't use a white backing, they look like crap and the fish hate them. Black is a better choice or dark blue or green.

You can use coloured card or a plastic rubbish bin liner and sticky tape it to the back of the tank (on the outside).

Brilliant, thanks for the advice.

Been looking at glass cats today. How do you think a group of 6 would fair in here?

Would I have to loose maybe on of the other species ,or just drop their number?

On the background, I agree that black is absolutely the best as it makes the depth 9front to back) disappear, fish prefer it (yes, they do distinguish colours) and it will enhance the colours of fish and plants.

You need to track down some floating plants. Your gourami need those. By floating plants I do not mean duckweed and similar as it is not substantial enough. Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Frogbit will work, or some of the styem plants will grow nice floating, like pennywort.

Glass cats...presumably this is the species Kryptopterus vitreolus. This is not a good community fish for a few reasons. They are very timid and shy, and any active swimmers may well cause them to stop eating. They need a group of at least five or six, or the same fate may occur (stop eating). They are mid-water predators and will "catch" food that floats gently in the current. A thickly-planted aquarium providing some swimming space with a gentle current is essential to calm this very timid fish. Floating plants will significantly assist in keeping this fish less stressed.

Brilliant source of info as usual thanks!

I'll make a cover for the back tomorrow and yes I have been researching floating plants for the Gourami but I'm still learning the names and what will look good! For now they seem happy enough in and out of the swords on the left but I intend to add more plants for them.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention on the black background...plain black construction paper works very well. I have this on all the tanks under 4 feet.

I work in a school so this definitely won't be hard to come by!

If you are using coloured cardboard you can paint it with water based paints first and after it dries, stick it to the tank. It doesn't have to be fancy but a few strokes of dark green can make it look like plants in the distance. Maybe get the kids at school to paint some fish and plants on coloured card and see if you have any aspiring artists in the class, then use their pictures on your tank. :)

In my opinion, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best floating plant for gouramis. It grows in most conditions and spreads rapidly and it can get big. I had 1 plant that filled up a 4x2x2 aquarium. It was like a giant mother ship and had hundreds of little plants growing off it. The plant can also grow in the substrate or floating on the surface.

Most reactions

Back