• Cryptocorynes Lucens
  • Bolbitis Heudelotii
  • Rotala Rotundifolia
  • Limnophila Sessiliflora
  • Ceratopteris Thalictroides
  • Riccia
  • Glossostigma Elatinoides
  • Dwarf Riccia
So I’ve had a think about it and I’m probably going to use Glossostigma Elatinoides for as a carpet plant instead of Riccia and then maybe have either Dwarf or normal Riccia on the wood, most probably Dwarf Riccia as normal may make the tank look smaller. And maybe a bushy small leaved plant as well? I dunno, this is where I need help so I am almost certainly open to suggestions. :)
Fish Considered
  • Corydoras Pygmaeus (Pygmy Cories) Still considering but unlikely
  • Corydoras Habrosus As above
  • Corydoras Hastatus As above
  • Boraras Micros (Micro Rasbora)
  • Celestichthys Margaritatus (Celestial Pearl Danio)
  • Some sort of small shrimp to help with algae, maybe Cherry?
The Celestial Pearl Danio's are a definite but I am trying to decide whether t put some shrimp or something in there as well, I'm open to suggestions :)
Equipment and fertiliser and stuff wise I am going to be using Tropica Plant Substrate underneath either a black sand or plain white sand (play sand). I am going to be using Fertiliser type things such as Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate (monobasic) and Seachem Flourish for traces. Is there anything else I need to be using?

On the CO2 side of things I’m planning on getting a large pressurised cylinder(eventually). Much like the ones used for welding, then using one of the T shaped things to split it between the main tank (also planning on planting) and the nano (this one). However I am finding it difficult to find a large pressurised cylinder (mainly searching ebay every night) so anyone who has any suggestions or useful links let me know. :) But after getting impatient with not finding one and wanting to get started I decided to go for the Dennerle Bio-Line CO2 Proffessional set as a temporary until I get the large pressurised cannister (been put on hold until i do the main tank). However I think I'll be changing the diffuser to a slightly smaller one, such as:
IMG_0704.JPG

But after thinking... could you use an airlock that you use for wine making and cut it here, see my picture (red line is where you'd cut it)
Untitled-1-1.jpg

Lighting is another thing I’m confused about (not really surprising… I’m a very simple person…). At the moment the tank has an Arcadia 11w Arc Pod thing. I've been told this is 4wpg. So I'm going with that for now, however I can get my hands on other lighting such as the Interpet 18w T5 Power Compact Convertagear thing or one with a higher watt output. (I apologise if I’m speaking a load of nonsense) What would you suggest?

Sorry for all the newbie comments and thoughts but I’m completely new to this planted stuff . I’ll try and keep this updated and post pictures as soon as possible :) However with exams coming up the tank setup may be delayed until after them due to they may be neglected. but may as well post it now :)

Very very well planned :)

The diffuser relies on the white ceramic disc which puts out teeny CO2 bubbles: I don't think the wine airlock has this disc, though it may be an option to create a CO2 drop checker?

though it may be an option to create a CO2 drop checker?

or a bubble counter

On the T connector to split CO2 between large and Nano.

Wouldn't this mean equal CO2 would go down each channel and therefore the Nano would get as much CO2 as the large tank? Overload on the Nano possibly?

Andy

though it may be an option to create a CO2 drop checker?

or a bubble counter

Wouldn't this mean equal CO2 would go down each channel and therefore the Nano would get as much CO2 as the large tank? Overload on the Nano possibly?

Andy

You could vary the position of the CO2 output in the smaller tank to reduce its efficieny, hence it gets the same CO2 physically into the tank but only so much of it then enters the water column?

Very very well planned :)

The diffuser relies on the white ceramic disc which puts out teeny CO2 bubbles: I don't think the wine airlock has this disc, though it may be an option to create a CO2 drop checker?

Thankyou :) I decided I better think about it first. Any plant suggestions would be appreciated.

Ah ok, fairy snuff I wasn't sure so thought I'd check. Oooh a drop checker would be good.

Andy

You could vary the position of the CO2 output in the smaller tank to reduce its efficieny, hence it gets the same CO2 physically into the tank but only so much of it then enters the water column?

Well explained :)

Lighting is another thing I’m confused about (not really surprising… I’m a very simple person…). At the moment the tank has an Arcadia 11w Arc Pod thing. I've been told this is 4wpg. So I'm going with that for now, however I can get my hands on other lighting such as the Interpet 18w T5 Power Compact Convertagear thing or one with a higher watt output. (I apologise if I’m speaking a load of nonsense) What would you suggest?

I have 13W over my 2.5g and get good growth without CO2. But my plant choices are limited and I don't have a foreground (I'm working on E. tenellus, but it hasn't spread yet) If you are open to pressurized CO2 and a dosing regimen, you could probably easily double it and then start dosing. But the only plants on your list that would be screaming for this are the glosso, the riccia, and the HC (if you want it to carpet). The other plants, I've grown without CO2 and at 13W without a problem. The L. sessilifolia is going to grow too large for a nano this size. Another option, if you have more light is Didiplis diandra or even Hemianthus micranthemoides, HC's larger cousin. I use HM as a background plant in my nano. George's nano used I think 18W. I personally think glosso will be too big for this tank and would opt for HC as the lawn cover.

llj

After thinking about everyones advice and suggestions I've decided (plant wise) on:
  • Hemianthus callitrichoides
  • Riccia sp. ''Dwarf''
  • Hemianthus micranthemoides
  • Pogostemon helferi
Do any of these plants need anything different from what I have already required e.g higher lighting.

Any suggestions still welcome ;)

i've got some pogostemon helferi under 2wp (in a small tall tank) and it's getting quite 'leggy' and tall, i think it would stay bushier under higher light, just something to think about. I actually still quite like it leggy but it depends how it would fit into your scape :good:

I have a HOB filter with my tank which is the same size as yours. My main problem was Algae. I chose slow growing plants and i knep on getting algae blooms every week. I turned to hornwart, and since then the tank has been fine.

The reason why i stated my filter was because it has become an annoyance. I got one of those cheap Hong Kong HOB's (Which are excellent!) however, my dwarf riccia is always getting stuck in the inlet tube. You might want to opt for the bigger riccia so its easier to pick out.

A few other tips.

REALLY CYCLE THE TANK WELL. Please read this line 5 times over.
Add loads more biofilter stuff to your filter. Those cherios looking things work well. So does the balls from eheim. My filter has no more space for any more filter medium.
Watch out for overstocking.
Prune your plants A LOT! You would be supprised how quickly they take over your tank.
You can get Huge nitrite and ammonia spikes randomly, If you see the fish looking a bit lethargic, smell the tank water. If it smells bad, then do a water change and then test the levels. I currently do water changes once every 3 days.

This is what happens when you underestimate the power of the nitrogen cycle.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=193347&hl=

e
I have a HOB filter with my tank which is the same size as yours. My main problem was Algae. I chose slow growing plants and i knep on getting algae blooms every week. I turned to hornwart, and sincthen the tank has been fine.

The reason why i stated my filter was because it has become an annoyance. I got one of those cheap Hong Kong HOB's (Which are excellent!) however, my dwarf riccia is always getting stuck in the inlet tube. You might want to opt for the bigger riccia so its easier to pick out.

I'll bear that in mind, the reason for Dwarf Riccia was because i believed it would look better then normal Riccia due to its smaller size.

A few other tips.

REALLY CYCLE THE TANK WELL. Please read this line 5 times over.
Add loads more biofilter stuff to your filter. Those cherios looking things work well. So does the balls from eheim. My filter has no more space for any more filter medium.
Watch out for overstocking.
Prune your plants A LOT! You would be supprised how quickly they take over your tank.
You can get Huge nitrite and ammonia spikes randomly, If you see the fish looking a bit lethargic, smell the tank water. If it smells bad, then do a water change and then test the levels. I currently do water changes once every 3 days.

This is what happens when you underestimate the power of the nitrogen cycle.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=193347&hl=

The tank is already cycled, has been since Januaryish with plants and has had fish in it, including a dp. So is well and truly cycled :D

I'll keep an eye on the nitrites and ammonia levels :)

Thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

trending

Back