110 watts enough?

Streetracer

Reaction score
I'm deciding how to light a 65 gallon 36x18x24 tank that will be planted. LFS said 110 watts would be enough. I've read various ideas on watts per gallon and depth of water, etc.

I don't plan to use CO2, or plants that need high light levels.
There will be fish in the tank, but not stocked to the max

Would a hanging fixture with grow lights work - the kind with threaded bases?
I've seen compact fluorescent fixtures in 96 W & 110 W are these OK?

you might find florecent to be chaeper. i got a bunch of fixtures form an old office that each hold 4x40 watt bulbs. and best part is they fit on top of my 55 like they where made to be a hood! also remember its not just huge watts and lots of co2. you need a balance of fertalizers, co2 and even lighting..... i hate incandecent lighting! not includeing metalhalide(if that counts?) if your going to go with standard sockets buy compact florecents. ive had good luck with them.... my 10 gal had 2x17w compact florecent bulbs and the plants did realy well.

edit:also have to add...color spectrum is also verry important. between 6000k and 6500k are what your looking for. someone els can probly explane the importance of this... im just reapeting what ive read on here.

I found a Sattelite 96w compact fluorescent fixture with 10000K bulb on sale here http://tinyurl.com/6lrks for $85. I know this is a good price but I'm not familiar with the brand. It also includes a lunar light which sounds really cool.

Would that 10000K bulb would be the wrong color for freshwater and would look unnatural??? I think that's designed for reef tanks.

The same vendor offers a Coralife Aqualight single 96w bulb, 6700K color temperature for $100. http://tinyurl.com/6jzde Any opinions on that item?

The 5000-6000K range is closest to daylight. Any lamp that mimics the daylight spectrum works best. You can get cheaper triphosphor bulbs that give off the same type of light. They also have a high CRI (true color rendition).

Suggest you also post this in Planted tanks forum where you should get a better response. MODS: can you pls move this thread....

Dubby said:
Suggest you also post this in Planted tanks forum where you should get a better response.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I tried but do not have permission to start a new topic there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back