10Usg Nano Reef Lighting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GrayScale

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Currently I have a 10g tank that was just emptied and was thinking of what I could do with it and decided that I want a nano reef. My girlfriend disagrees because of the cost but I think she'll understand when it's all said and done.

Alright enough with the rambling. It's currently just got stock lighting and it'll obviously need an upgrade but I can't decide which fixture would be best:

Current Nova Extreme Pro(3 18w t5ho, 3 18w t5ho 460nm actinic) or;
Marineland LED: 18 1w 10,000k LEDs, 3 1w 460nm blue LEDs)

Since it's 20"x10"x12" I think the 20" fixture would be what I want or would it be 18"?

I will get 1 or 2 smaller powerheads, 20lb live rock, hob protein skimmer. Considering getting a small eheim classic for rowaphos and other removal stuff.

I'd like to have a nice colorful zoa garden, maybe some xenia and leather corals.

For stocking I was thinking a single firefish or blenny, or a shrimp/goby pair.

Thanks again for the help! Let me know what light fixture would be best. I'm thinking the LED fixture but I am unsure.

Just read the above and this is my favourite type of setup. I think a Zoa garden would be awesome and a single fish or fish/shrimp pair would be the best choice. I can immediately save you money don't bother with the skimmer they are not necessary in nano aquaria. Two small hydor nanos would be better than say one hydor 1 as you can create more turbulent flow with two. For the lighting system I think this is the prefect setup for LEDs and hence I would urge you to go that route. Small aquarium with the added heat from T5s will lead to more evaporation and hence potentially wild swings with the salinity if you are not vigilant. Back to the stocking list I think a Zoa garden looks really awesome especially when combined with yuma or ricordias; the body structure and colours can give amazing contrast.

All the best and hope this helps. By the way live rock with plenty of flow is by far the best filter in the marine world.

Kindest regards

Joe

:hi: Grayscale, looking forward to watching your progress

And Joe, lovely to see you around - we could do with some more experienced members shaking the joint up a bit, hope to see you posting more, when you have time off from the blues and twos :good: that is.

Seffie x

Thanks for the info Crazy!

Any suggestions on the LED light fixture?

After reading a few reviews on the marineland fixture, I'm not too convinced on the quality and reef capability of it. They do have a "double bright" fixture that may be better. Who knows, maybe I'm just so used to T5 that I don't know much about LEDs and it makes me a little weary. Maybe a little education on LEDs and how they work for a reef tank would help if anyone doesn't mind a brief explanation.

If I'm not mistaken it's based off of lumen and Kelvin and not watts? But how does the lumen make up for the lack of watts and would it be enough to support corals? Even better, does anyone have experience with only LEDs for lighting that could chime in and let me know how good/bad it is for your system and corals.

Thanks Seffie, look forward to piecing it together. Unfortunately it'll be a couple of months since my lease is almost up on my apartment and would rather wait so I don't have to break it down and set it back up.

I have aquarays and have seen many tanks with them on. From experience they are good and certainly powerful enough for what you are planning. I can't seem to find the dimensions of the fixatures but a couple of those should be adequate in the Marine blue/ reef white ( a combination of blue and white LEDs). You will find that the down side to LED lighting is the initial cost although now they are better than when I purchased them. In addition to strips they do tiles but I think they require you to remorgage your property and sell a kidney on the quiet!!

All the best

Joe

Hi there Seffie.... :good:

Thanks again bud. I assume most only have 1 chord and a switch that can't be set on a timer seperately? Like a timer for only blues and then whites? To simulate daytime or would you suggest a separate strip for that?

The aquaray duo (2 strip package) has a single power cord and as I said reef white/marine blue have a mixture of blue and white LEDs. To successfully keep corals you just have to have them on for 12-14 hours daily and you need not worry about phase control of lighting like real sunrises and sunsets. I have all my LED strips on timers and they work really well. I think the only lighting system where timers may pose a slight problem is with halides and that is only when a power surge happens. If they a hot when they go out there have difficulty igniting again until they are cooler.

All the best and kindest regards

Joe

Thanks again. Definately nice to have some reassurance on the issue since I'm not too familiar wth LEDs. I know they're a bit pricey but I'd rather save and spend the money on the right stuff than cheap out and get garbage that usually leads to more problems.

Now the trouble is finding it from online dealers in the US. Every site I've been to has been across the pond.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back