100W Heater Suitable For 25 Litres?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kazc31

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So Basically I'm taking setting up my aquarium slow! Waiting for it to cycle properly and still have yet to buy a heater however, luck would have it and I found my old heater whilst sorting the loft! The instructions say 100w suitable for 40-120 litres but wondered if suitable for my 25 litres although I'm sure it'll need to be set to a slightly lower temp if so! Any thoughts?!!!

I'd never really thought about using an over-power heater before. The rule of thumb is that you should use 1w per litre, so I wouldn't have said it was ok for a 120l tank, tbh.

The only potential problem with it is obviously that it will heat itself to a higher temperature than, say, a 50w, which might cause issues for the small fish that you would fit in a 25l tank, if they got a bit too near it? Dunno.  It will heat 25l quicker than a 50w, but I wouldn't have thought that would cause any issues. So long as it will fit in the tank properly, I would say it'll probably be ok.

Just one thing - a tank cycles better when it's heated to 30ish C, how are you cycling?

EDIT: IIRC, you are going to house a single betta, is that right? In which case, I can't see any issues with the temperature of the heater, that same heater would be in a 60l tank.

EDIT 2: Just realised that I had a 150w heater in a 60l tank with no issues, which is roughly the same kind of mismatch, so I say, yeah go for it.

I use a 200L heater on a 100L tank and yes you do get overheating issues as the heater takes longer to cool down.

My water tends to sit at 27c when it's set to 25c.

Well I was going to buy a thermometer then plug it in and see I want the water at around 80f and it can be set for 60f it's quite thin not too large and is an expensive make! I was just querying as have read some people like to use a slightly larger heater so as not too loose heat so quick but like you say you don't want it too hot neither!! Thanks for the replys!

To be honest, i wouldn't use such a big heater, i'd probably use a 25w for that size, mine are setup as follows

60l - 50w (Swordtail Breeding) 
25l - 25w (Quarantine)
45l -25w (3xBetta)
30l - 25w (Cherry Shrimp)
120l - 100w (Community)

My Bedroom is at a constant 24c so I don't really need heaters in the tank, but it is good for the cooler months!

kazc31 said:
Well I was going to buy a thermometer then plug it in and see I want the water at around 80f and it can be set for 60f it's quite thin not too large and is an expensive make! I was just querying as have read some people like to use a slightly larger heater so as not too loose heat so quick but like you say you don't want it too hot neither!! Thanks for the replys!
How are you cycling?

I've read what needs to be done!! More advice on the heater department!!! Many Thanks!

Well it's not ideal to use a 100w heater in such a small tank but it can be done.

The main risk is that if the heater stuck on it wouldn't take long for your fish to boil. I have been using a 300w inline heater on my 60l tank for ages now and everything is fine, I just pray it never malfunctions and sticks on.

Livewire88 said:
Well it's not ideal to use a 100w heater in such a small tank but it can be done.

The main risk is that if the heater did stick on it wouldn't take long for your fish to boil. I have been using a 300w inline heater on my 60l tank for ages now and everything is fine, I just pray it never malfunctions and sticks on.

And it takes longer for it to cool down. I would say go for it, it's your fish though. The safest bet is to use a heater meant for the size. I'm running a 150w for my 20 gallon with no issues, but again, I pray it doesn't stick.

Well my problem is money! Iv only set it up now because the longer left the better I guess! I've still lots of bits to get so typically were skint ATM ha. Have been waiting ages for a setup so if it works for now then I'll get a more appropriate size at a later date else I'll be waiting goodness knows how long! If it doesn't work fare nuff but got to atleast give it ago! im not too worried itll stick as its barely been used and an expensive one!!! Thanks for the replys!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back