100litre tank

I haven't looked much at soils but i think they would be more expensive than ferts. I've heard that soil can cause some serious problems in a fishtank such as high ammonia.
i didn't know that tank you.
Ithink a bag of aquasoil here costs about £30 for 5kg or £15 for 3kg

yeah i think ferts would be cheaper and less of a pain. Not 100% on that though
750 ml of tropica fertiliser here costs about £17 pound on average.
and if there would potentially be problems with aqua soil affecting the fish then i think it would be best not to use it.

also would pea puffers eat snails if I had a separate small tank to raise and breed snails in then every so often I could feed the the snails as s variation in food from bloodworms
also would this be ok for the pea puffers if i did this- would it befit their health?

750 ml of tropica fertiliser here costs about £17 pound on average.
and if there would potentially be problems with aqua soil affecting the fish then i think it would be best not to use it.

The real issue using any so-called plant substrate is how it can seriously compromise some fish, and affect water chemistry which then impacts other fish. Inert sand is the overall best substrate because plants grow well in it, and all of the fish one would want in our home aquariums like yours are fine with sand.

The real issue using any so-called plant substrate is how it can seriously compromise some fish, and affect water chemistry which then impacts other fish. Inert sand is the overall best substrate because plants grow well in it, and all of the fish one would want in our home aquariums like yours are fine with sand.
is inert sand the same as all the sands you would buy at a LFS

I've seen dirted tanks done with just baked dirt form the garden as a nutrient substrate but it seems 50/50 if it goes well or if the whole tank gets covered in algae

is inert sand the same as all the sands you would buy at a LFS

No. "Inert" sand is the term used for a sand that will not affect water chemistry. Some sand is calcareous, meaning it is made from rock/sand that is primarily calcium, such as limestone. Calcareous rock/sand slowly dissolves minerals, primarily calcium, into the water which makes it harder. Livebearers and some other fish need this, but soft water fish species do not. Sands made for marine tanks and rift lake cichlid tanks are calcareous.

You can buy aquarium sand that is inert. You can also use good quality play sand which is considerably less expensive. I use this. I take it you are in the UK (since you mention pounds in one post) and other members have identified a quality play sand whose name I can never seem to remember, but @Essjay will know.

I've seen dirted tanks done with just baked dirt form the garden as a nutrient substrate but it seems 50/50 if it goes well or if the whole tank gets covered in algae

The possible detriments to using any type of dirt are considerable. Given that it is not necessary for good plant growth, it really is not worth the effort.

do you think the plants would get enough nutrients if i only did root tabs and fertiliser?

Plants need 17 nutrients. Most of these are available in fish foods, some get replenished with water changes. Different plant species have differing levels of nutrient needs; slow-growing plants need less intense light and less nutrients than fast-growing plants. So there are various factors at work here.

It is possible to have a planted tank where the nutrients only occur naturally from the fish being fed and water changes. In other tanks we need to supplement these natural nutrients. The aim should always be to use less rather than more of any plant fertilizers, because these do impact fish to some extent.

In what we term low-tech or natural planted tanks, where the fish are of prime importance and plants are just there for their benefits and appearance, supplemental fertilizers are more than sufficient.

It is possible to have a planted tank where the nutrients only occur naturally from the fish being fed and water changes. In other tanks we need to supplement these natural nutrients.
would it be best if i chose low demanding light plants and do not need that much nutrients?

Most reactions

Back