Zero Nitrates

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

djloach

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just set up a 90 gallon planted tank. After doing a fishless cycle I have added a bunch of fish over the last month or so. I had some nitrates present when doing my fishless cycle but haven't had any nitrates for several weeks. Is this normal? I have quite a few fast growing plants and my current fish stock includes 6 zebra danios (1.5-2" each), 6 rainbowfish (~3 inches each), 5 clown loachs (~2" each), 3 zebra loaches (2" each), a red tail black shark (~2.5") and one oto cat. Could the plants be using up all the nitrates produced? My ammonia and nitrites also test zero. I've been doing 15-20% water change weekly. Should I care that my nitrates are zero or be happy?

it sounds to me like your nitrates are getting sucked up by the plants, but i would wait to hear from more experienced members. the water changing helps too

it sounds to me like your nitrates are getting sucked up by the plants, but i would wait to hear from more experienced members. the water changing helps too

The other possibility is a faulty test kit-it happened to me once. Even my Nitrate solution measured 0. If you are in London and measuring 0-its definately the test kit!

Alan

that is also a possibility that i didnt think of. if you have any other tanks that have been set up for a while you could test them with this kit to see if you have any nitrates in there, and if you get a reading on another tank, then you would know that its not just the test kit. (and that it may be time for a waterchange :)

Most reactions

Back