Zebra Plecs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smithrc

My names Russell.... ....and I'm a
Reaction score
It looks like we've (me and a fish store friend) have finally managed to find some Zebra Plecs to import.

They are the L173 Pattern varients but still the same fish.
When breeding them they are said to produce a mix of normal and 'wiggly' marked fry.

They are listed as 'small' so will be young and have a long live ahead of them :)

If your interested please post a reply -
Before anyone says "depends on the price" the final price would depent on the survial rate from shipping but top price would the £100 - so if you answer with that price in mind.

One other note is that I'd prefer to sell in pairs or small groups - but obviously understand the cost involved.

One last this - Collection only (or delivery if i'm in a good mood)

P.S. anyone want to by a kidney... I need to raise the capital in one go! :crazy:

I might be interested in buying 3 or 4 if "Bruces price is right" ;)

So deffinate interest from me.

Ben

Right folks - Half box was ordered today - Fingers crossed.

I'll keep you in the know ;)

Hey guys,

I have a question about zebra plecs. I remember when they used to be fairly 'readily' available at around £40 or abit more, but now I find that they're very hard to come by and cost a bucket load. Are wild populations under threat or something?

Cheers,
Luke.

yup - and exports have been restricted from brazil :(

They can now fetch £150 for one fish!

Just make sure you actually get zebra plecs as there are quite a few similar looking black and white striped plecs which are not zebra plecs but other species of plec.

they are on a brazil list... not tank bread.

I'm wondering if the reason there are now 3 clasifications of zebras is a way round the export rules...

There have been reports od L236's being imported as 173's so they might not be zebs at all... but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If they arn't we can claim for the costs as we are doing this via a fish store and not direct with an importer ;)

Are wild populations under threat or something?

yup - and exports have been restricted from brazil

So your still importing fish when you know their populations are decreasing and under threat???

Surely your doing the wrong thing.

I see what you mean entirely :/

I intend to keep 6-10 as a breading colony and only insent to sell in small groups so that others can do the same.

the good thing is that 90% those that are interested in buying these already have breeding plans going and are increasing their colony.

The more people that get them breeding the better - the hard part is the costs involved. :crazy:

I would hope that anyone seriously interested in these Zebras will plan to breed them, i dont want a fish thats £100 for it to sit around looking pretty :p...

Any news yet Smithrc?

Ben

They should be here tuesday :)

I'll hear on monday if they have been sent :)

Dont get your hopes up yet though - lots of people have said that they are very unlikely to be Zebs when they get here - more likely L236's being pasted off as 173's :(

We'll just have to wait and see.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back