Zebra Plecs £28

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ginge

Betta Extermination Team!!!
Reaction score
Ive just got back from my LFS and i think i saw these fish for £28 i might be mistakng them for another fish they only had a latin name next to thm that i cant remember. Could sombody post some pictures of these fish so i can verify this comment.

There are 4 or 5 plecs that are sold under the name "Zebra Plec", they could be any of species, but DEFFINATELY won't be true zebra plecs at this price. The only Zebras available are tank bred ones, which are seelling for around £150.

Ben

:blink: For that price, and can gaurentee they definately won't be the true price. The cheapest I have seen one was for £60 from my LFS, it was found hidden inside the plants that they ordered, and obviously didn't know much about them.

Sadly I didn't have the space, nor spare money at the time.. :(

Which lfs was that? Its the holidays soon and I have cash to burn.... If they're interesting anyway (even false zebra plecs are nice to look at) I might part with my cash.

Which lfs was that? Its the holidays soon and I have cash to burn.... If they're interesting anyway (even false zebra plecs are nice to look at) I might part with my cash.

It was the mainhead aquatics at havant on the same side as the cichlids at the opposite end

OK, ty, I was thinking of going there anyway, they do some cool shrimp and other plecs. I'll see if I can go on Wednesday :)
Oh yeah, the sci name is Hypancistrus zebra. But when you look at the thumbnails, a lot could be described as zebra plecs, although I wouldn't think Maidenhead would be ones to mis-ID....

I would disagree, every maidenhead aquatics I have been to has had L-Numbers misidentified. I don't mind hugely though as its hard to get every one right and they certainly do better than some shops which simply call things "spotty plecs" with no scientific name.

Ben

Zebra pleco:
ZebraPleco.jpg

how kool is that?! :hyper:

Ive just got back from my LFS and i think i saw these fish for £28 i might be mistakng them for another fish they only had a latin name next to thm that i cant remember. Could sombody post some pictures of these fish so i can verify this comment.

Thay are most likely not true zebra plecs(the prices really rocket for as previously stated), but what they are more likely to be are chocolate zebra plecs(which are wroth about £20);

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loric...ancis/232_F.PHP

:thumbs:

Possibly a queen arabesque or king tiger plec at that sort of price. I am sure if you called they would tell you.

*Hopefully* I can go tomorrow... Its just a bit too far to get the bus *checks maps*, but I'll be sure to let you all know what it is. Even if they are false and a ripoff, they do some other nice plecs I was looking at... Banjo cat, some of the Pekoltia species.... Plus some other cool things :)

Thought I'd update... I went today, and there were still two there :D They were labelled as 'Imperial Plecs, grow to 8cm, (I think) L054'. I checked and L054 isn't a synonym, but the rest of the data matched, and while they weren't as clear cut stripes as in pictures they were definately very similar... They were 'furry' looking too... I didn't get any because I wasn't sure, but I might still go back again :thumbs: If thats the case, I'm not sure if I'll keep them, I'd much rather they went to someone with a breeding colony...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back