Zebra Fish Lying On Side

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Samazon

Reaction score
I just got home with a siphon vaccuum, some decholorinator and a water test kit. im going to quickly do about a 25% water change. I've had this tank for 6 days. You can read more about my situation in my other post below this one.

He has two small red spots and some dis coloration on his belly and side. right now he's up and swimming slowly in one spot at the very bottom. I dont have an emergency tank to put him in. Is this velvet? Should I put him in a seperate bowl so that the others can't bully him?

I didn't see the red spots or ever see him lying on his side until just about 10 minutes ago. I just fed the fish and the others quickly ate most of it. One flake floated past his face by chance and he took a swing at it and missed. He definitely has some red spots under him and to his sides.

It'll almost certainly be ammonia poisoning.

You need to do a big water change. Drain the tank right down, leaving just enough water for the fish to swim upright (don't forget to switch your heater and filter off first!) before refilling with temperature matched, dechlorinated water.

You'll probably have to do that every day for the next month/six weeks, unless you can get hold of some mature media to put in your filter, or at least until you can get test kits for ammonia and nitrite so you can monitor the water quality.

Alright I just did about a 40% water change with temperature matched dechlorinated water. I bought a API freshwater test kit and tested the water before the water change.

It read:

pH 7.6
High Range pH 7.9
Amonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 3ppm

Now my sick zebra fish is swimming lethargically in one place in the middle of the tank. He has a few small red spots and reddish gills. The other fish are letting him be for now. I keep reading online that zebra fish are fine with no heater as long as the house temp stays about 65 degrees. Is this accurate? This marineland 20 gal. came with its own heater but I haven't used it yet. The temp has been around 72-74 during the day and 72-70 at night.

How am I doing?

Test the water again now you've changed some to see if you've managed to lower the ammonia. If not, you need to change more water.

Ok, just did and the ammonia has definitely lowered, although I can see that its still not at zero. Should I be using my heater? Would raising the heat about the 74 degrees that its at now help out any?

Most of what I've read online is that these guys don't need a heater.

So from here on I'll be testing daily and changing out the water as much as needed. Any other tips guys?

Get as much oxygen in the water as you can if you got a pump in there pull it up to move the surface water if you can.
You will nee to change the water very regularly and big changes too to keep the toxic levels down.

Ok just did about a 60-70 percent water change. I'll post results soon.

The zebra fish looks to be doing worse, his scales looks to be detoriating and his fish tail is more tattered then usual. Besides these water changes is there something else that would help or is this my best bet?

He is resting on the bottom of the tank right now after the water change

If you can isolate an internal bacteria medication.

i wont be able to make the trip tonight to purchase that. Anything else? Will these water changes help him?

To be honest he sounds to far gone, but it still worth trying to save hum.
Water changes, increase aeration,

Thank you for your replies. Should I put him down? Should I let him die on his own time? How would I put a fish down?

How is the fish?

Most reactions

Back