Zebra Danio's

Kirsty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How can you tell the difference between the girls and boys? Because i think i may have a pregnant fish but i want to make sure its female first!

They are egglayers, and can't get pregnant. They can get GRAVID, however, which means that they can be full of eggs.

oh rite, ok. well i would prefer she was full of eggs and not pregnant, i have only had fish a week and i dont think i could deal with babies.

Males are more streamlined than the deep-bodied females and sometimes the males have a golden background color as opposed to the females' silver. In long-finned varieties, the males have longer fins than the females. This isn't as evident in the normal wild-type fish which all have short fins.

The Wolf has a site about danios with a pic of a male and female zebra danio to illustrate the differences.

I have 4 stripy ones and ones kinda dotty and i thought maybe that one was feamle. I think they are male though but this one looks different to the rest.

no, just leopards and zebras. male danios are long and slender, like torpedoes. female danios have got a massive pot-belly on them and look like they've swallowed a dime.

I have four stripy ones and a dotty one too. But from the way you are talking about thier bellies the dotty one is def female, i thought she was looking a little fat.

as everyone has stated, females appear
fatter when compaired to a male.
here is a pic of each (female in forground)
ZEBRAS1-iC.jpg

HTH

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back