Zebra Danio Is Crazy

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

neon_platy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok so I was watching my fish tonight and my Zebra is way outta control. I have 3, 1 that is real big and 2 smaller ones and of course the big one always chases the two little ones. Now after I put in a ton of small hiding plants at the bottom, they hide more so he or she get's upset and then chases my neons around and now the neons do the little chase game too. I haven't noticed any tail or fin damage, are they just playing?? I know they're pretty hyper fish but was just wondering if this one is a little too aggressive and if he/she should be moved into my empty 2.5 tank?

this is one reason that danios need more than 10 gallons and need to be kept in groups of at the very least 5.

thanks for your help and stuff....i wanna get a bigger tank but can't do it yet, in the meantime i don't think any harm is being done and i read on a dannio site they like to do that sort of thing so we'll see thanks again :)

i read on a dannio site they like to do that sort of thing

what site?
please provide me with a link

I will say that if the conditions are not sorted out soon you will
possibly end up with one danio left as s/he will kill everything else in the tank.
I have seen it happen with my own two eyes.

i read on a dannio site they like to do that sort of thing

what site?
please provide me with a link

I will say that if the conditions are not sorted out soon you will
possibly end up with one danio left as s/he will kill everything else in the tank.
I have seen it happen with my own two eyes.

I don't remember b/c it was when i was first looking to get them I think it was one of the first few that came up when I did a Google Search for Zebra Danios...all i remember was it said they like to swim around and someone said they would play "tag" constantly in their tank on the site. I was watching them again today and I really don't think he's doing any harm, it just seems like he chases the little ones until they hide then he gives up and moves on swimming around the tank

idk but my friend has 10 zebra danios and a suckermouth catfish (algea eater) in a ten gallon tank and they play tag a lot and ther fine

idk but my friend has 10 zebra danios and a suckermouth catfish (algea eater) in a ten gallon tank and they play tag a lot and ther fine

Since 10 of them, meaning each of them have more choice of 'picking' on each other... so lesser stress I guess.

I used to have problems but once added the number of danio to 8, they seems okay even they still chase each other...

Since 10 of them, meaning each of them have more choice of 'picking' on each other... so lesser stress I guess.

I used to have problems but once added the number of danio to 8, they seems okay even they still chase each other...

i can't add that many obviously and maybe I'm at max capacity as it is for this tank. I think I'll probably end up getting a larger tank once certain ppl calm down about me spending so much money on current tank and fish and get a new BIG one and add the dannios and a couple mroe so they're like 6 or so to play with

I think I'll probably end up getting a larger tank once certain ppl calm down about me spending so much money on current tank and fish and get a new BIG one and add the dannios and a couple mroe so they're like 6 or so to play with

That sounds a good plan. If you find any good way of twisting family's arms please pass it on to the rest of us...

That sounds a good plan. If you find any good way of twisting family's arms please pass it on to the rest of us...

Just go out and buy without anyone knowing. get water and plants in immediately so it looks nice.

If they say you have to take it back, agree (lie) and give it a few days. put whatever fish you are going to use for cycling in. The bitching will resume, but after a couple of days will subside and you will have your new tank...

PS - let me know if this works :lol:

Just go out and buy without anyone knowing. get water and plants in immediately so it looks nice.

If they say you have to take it back, agree (lie) and give it a few days. put whatever fish you are going to use for cycling in. The bitching will resume, but after a couple of days will subside and you will have your new tank...

PS - let me know if this works :lol:

Hahahaha I laughd when I saw these replies this morning ;) I already got in trouble this morning when I walked through the messy living room looked at the fish tank and said I think I need to clean the tank today...

i breed zebra danios they are very active fish to tell whatsex they are the male black striped with a yellowish stripe females are silver. you might find that they are chaseing to breed if the smaller ones have rounded bellies they could be carrying eggs. i take eggs from females then 3 to5 days she can reproduce more i just leave them as i dont have enough room for a lot of fry it could just be that you have a male chasing females

i breed zebra danios they are very active fish to tell whatsex they are the male black striped with a yellowish stripe females are silver. you might find that they are chaseing to breed if the smaller ones have rounded bellies they could be carrying eggs. i take eggs from females then 3 to5 days she can reproduce more i just leave them as i dont have enough room for a lot of fry it could just be that you have a male chasing females

ahhhh thanks for the idea...I'll have to check their coloration and see maybe that is it too.

Thanks again

Most reactions

Back