Your Thoughts Remove Sump Adding 3 New Filters Run Time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

msebar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok fish people need your thoughts on this.

I decided to remove the 55 gal sump from my 180 gallon planted tank. WHY you ask? I am using too much c02 simple as that. With the open top tank, open top sump and the water movement in the sump too much C02 is escaping. I picked up 2 yes 2 FX6's to replace the sump. I am also picking up a cheapo National Geographic canster from PetSmart only 55 bucks to run the inline C02. ( they say it's a ehiem)I didn't want to slow down the FX6,s as the hose size is huge compared to the hose size needed for the inline unit. My thoughts on this are to get the slowest turnover rate on the cheapo canister so the C02 has time to dissolve and run the new filters for 2 weeks before removing the sump.  Please comment on my questions below.

Is this over kill?

Will 2 weeks running the new filters be enough?

Should I reduce the output of one Fx6 and add the inline difusser to that and not get the 3rd filter?

I have done a lot of reading and decided on replacing the sump. Can someone give me some thought on the questions. I am at 2 weeks running the fx6s and getting ready to kill the sump. Waiting on some feedback

It is hard to colonize canisters when the bacteria is already in a sump. The best way is to move some of the sump media into the canisters. The more one can move the better. You did not mention how the sump was set up, so it is difficult to answer your question. However, based on the assumptiomn you did not move any, then the answer to is two weeks enough is normally no. However more ont his below.

I would not use a cheap canister and push co2 through it. That canister is not an Eheim unless it says Eheim on it. Consider using a pump to power an external reactor.

The flow rates for those Fluvals is pretty strong and they are for sure overkill in that respect by having two of them.

But what I really wonder about is how heavily planted this tank is. If you are pushing co2 gas, I am thinking it is well planted with light loving plants which grow fast and/or big. This would mean you actually have a minimal complement of nitrifying bacteria and most of the ammonia created in the tank is taken up by the plants. As a result your filter is mostly doing mechanical filtration and chemical when needed, and very minimal bio. Your substrate is where a lot of that action is in terms of bacteria.

So the odds here are you can switch things over whenever you want. You really don't want to push the gas through almost any canister and you could have returned one of them had you not begun using it. You do not need that much media volume for a well planted, high light tank. I say almost because the reason I took up with Eheims was to be able to push my co2 through it as I had no space for a reactor in or outside the tank.  I ran this tank that way for about a dozen years before I tore it down. Also, I would have suggested you get two smaller canisters instead of a single FX6 had you asked before you bought them. Circulation is as important a consideration as filtration in this situation. This does not mean big flow but adequate flow to insure ferts and co2 are dispersed throughout the tank.

I hope this has answered all your questions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back