Your opinion please

Cheart99

Reaction score
Ok! I actaully have two questions but here is the first. Ok I receintly had to recyule my tank becuase of somthing that had the nitrite spike. Anyway the amonia is 0, has been since 19 of march. On th 19 my nitrite was 1.6 mg/L, on the 22 it was 0.8 mg/L.. I tested it today and it is amonia 0 and nitrite is 0.3 mg/L. Now the book that came with my kit says that is in the safe area, so is my tank now officaly re-cyled??
Now that brings me to quesion 2. My tank water is starting to get kinda murky and has a smell to it. Does this mean i need a new filter, as i think mine is now over one month old? Or do i need to do a 50% water change. I am nervous about this becuase if i just got my tank cylced will that much of a water change ruin the cylce or if i change my filter material will that hurt it as well? Any advise is much appreciated.

The murkyness is a common thing that happens with cycling tanks. It sounds as if you are at the very end of a cycle, so I wouldn't worry about it. It should clear up on it's own.

Changing that much water is fine, it's what I would do. Do not change, or otherwise mess with the filter media. This could cause it to re-cycle. Most all of my tanks get 50% weekly, sometimes 75%, and they do just fine.

Tolak

The cloudiness can be a result of algea and this will settle after a few days. Plants and lighting (10-12 hours a day no direct sun) will help to keep this in check. 0 ammonia and less then 1mg/l nitrite + 5mg/l or more nitrate and I would say it is fish ready. Always use a de-chlorinator ie Tetra Aquasafe with the water change. A 20-50% water change/gravel vac when the nitrate gets up to about 40mg/l and your good to go! :D

Are you testing for ammonia and nitrates as well?
If you want to clean your filter just wash it in water from water changes from your tank but never wash it in tap water as the chlorine in it kills off the good bacteria in it.
I would advise you get a gravel vac if you have gravel in your tank as this cleans the gravel in the tank without having to take it out and will do a water change at the same time.
As far as how much water you take out in your water changes in your tank and how often you do them after your tank has cycled it depends on how big your tank is and what the water temp is set at.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back