Your Ideal England Line-up

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Really interesting to see as a basketball player in the uk. Well i say player i used to play for Manchester at a high level club traveling the country playing. I think there are more people aware and watching the NBA than most people realise. However you look at it Beckham going to the USA like Arfie said will if do nothing for football in US bring in some serious bucks. I would just like to go back to something you said nuke

"we like impact, speed and power"

How many English Premiership games have you watched?
Or maybe a game between Manchester United Vs The red side of liverpool coughscumcough ;) In the first five mins of most of the games there are alot of hard hitting tackles. However i know what you mean about 'some' footballers being Fairys, but seriously NFL players where pads! Rugby now there is some serious impact speed and power there.
Jus my two cents
Greg

I, for one, do enjoy watching Soccer....or football....sorry, American here. And it is fast paced, exciting and there are a lot of impacts and physical plays. This past summer I watched every World Cup Game I could......until the Red Sox came on at 7:00 in the evening that is.

What America needs is a quality Team USA that can go to the finals of the World Cup, maybe not win, but at least get there. That will garner some enthusiasm for the sport. And, yanno what, I don't think the US is that far away from doing it either. As Arfie, again, stated, we are producing some top-notch players that can really compete on a global scale. I say, give it 10 maybe 15 years (maybe less) and we may be looking at a Team USA that can do something.

And Arfie makes a point, again, whether he intended it or not. A lot of American sports aren't televised or played across the pond. He mentions hockey, which is an amazing spectator sport (I urge Arfie to catch a real, NHL hockey game if he can). In Europe they don't play baseball all summer with their buddies, or do they toss the pigskin around in the back yard with their dad, and not many shoot hoops (altho there have been many excellent prospects coming out of Europe the past few years like Manu Ginobili). They all play soccer (football)!! So it's no wonder they love it!! (I can see why, I am an equal opportunity sports fan, hell, I'll watch curling!)

I've watched a couple world cup games and it just always seem to be the same... pass... hold it, hold it... pass... turn it over... they are low scoring games with guys that take dives ALL THE TIME... grow a pair... I mean Zidane's (sp?) little head butt was more overrated than anything I have ever seen... I would've thought he shot the guy listening to the post game... I like when you can hit someone in a sport and not get kicked out of the game...I like fighting... none of which are qualities of soccer.

I don't mind a little fighting. (I especially like the picture of Jason Varitek's gloved fist square in the face of Alex Rodriguez)

But his headbut was a cheap shot. Not to mention the only time you really need to headbut is maybe in a streetfight where your life may be in jeopardy, not because you're pissed about a play in a game of soccer.

I suppose you think the hockey play from a few years back where one guy smacked his stick right into the side of the other guy's head and pretty much knocked him out was exadurated (sp?) also?

I personally just find soccer too slow a sport and mildly exciting. I honestly can say no matter if soccer gets big or not, I will never be a big fan. I'm a hockey player/ lacrosse player for life!

I quite like Yanky Doodle Football and Soccer . Just two different games that's all.

But you did make me Laugh...........Soccer too slow :hyper: ...Blimey its a damn sight quicker than your Football :hyper:

On the other hand i had an american friend over here that wanted to see a cricket match
I don't care for it much but i took him to a test match

He said...'How can you play a sport for 5 days and get a Draw'??.... I Had to laugh, he has a bloody good point. :hyper:

Soccer is slow IMHO... The ball movement is slow and the guys are always just kinda jogging around... they just sprint when they have a chance to score.

As for the violent plays in hockey, I DO think they deserved to get in trouble. The reason that was a big deal was the fact that they could have killed the other guy... getting head butted in the chest isn't going to hurt much unless you have a bad ticker...

What I am saying is it's like all slow the rest of the time where as in most American sports you never sit still while in action.

What I am saying is it's like all slow the rest of the time where as in most American sports you never sit still while in action.

Nope!.....Still Don't sit right.It might be slow but atleast its moving. American Football stops and starts,l very frustrating.And what's that conversion about?
My 6 year old could Kick it. :good:

Anyway.....Women's Beach Volleyball, now there is a sport that i definately can't sit still in the action or out of it :hyper:

Hey guy I said "while in action", which means while they are playing... football players, hockey players, basketball players are all sprinting (or skating hard) the whole game where as soccer players can get away with standing still and walking and jogging.

Hey guy I said "while in action", which means while they are playing... football players, hockey players, basketball players are all sprinting (or skating hard) the whole game where as soccer players can get away with standing still and walking and jogging.

Ok Mate. We gave it a good thrashing. Take care :good:

This is very interesting, I can't believe that people still rate Beckham, he has definately passed his days as an England football player, there is much better out there than him. We just need to find them.

Just got some of the press coverage on now about Beckham's arrival in the USA :hyper: Apparently it is the biggest ever sporting conference too :blink:

It's much more hyped than I expected it to be. Apparently the first competative game is against New York Red Bulls who normally sell 10,00 tickets for a game, but have sold 30,000 just because Beckham is there :blink: .

They have sold over 250,000 shirts already.

All this on the back of Beckham returning to some level of form in the last 4-5 months of the year, helping Real Madrid to win their first title in 3 years and getting back (quite rightly) into the England team.

I wouldn't mind 0.1% of the turnover he's gonna generate over the next few years :shout:

Arfie

got 2 be this, 4-3-1-2;

GK - ben foster
DL - i would have 2 say ashley cole, not bcoz hes good but im hard pushed 2 think of another left back other than crappy bridge
DC - jonathon woodgate
DC - rio ferdinand
DR - micah richards (sort of a wing back role)
ML - steward downing
MC - steven gerrard
MR- aaron lennon
AMC - joe cole
FW - peter crouch
FW - andrew johnson/ jermaine defoe, cant decide

im not usually wrong with my selections, i statistically proved i would of won the world cup had they used my team :p :lol:

Most reactions

Back