Young Crowntail Females..do You Have A Pic Please?

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Reaction score
seeing as ive recently moved, ive just started scoping out the local fish shops! anyhow ive found a small independant one (it is inface a newsagent/fish shop selling all ciggys/sweets/mags at the front, then you tgo into the back and its a fish shop!) anyhow he's got for sale young female crowntails, at the equivilant of 90p each, they are beautiful things but im worried they look more male than female (thought females had really short fins) anyhow im wondering if these are young males that havent developed their full finnage yet, how can i tell before i go any buy them all??

also if they are female, how many can i put in a 120L tank?

have asked the owner and he says he bought them in as females and is positive thats what they are

they are gorgeous colours (red and black, pink and red and pink and black) but am still unsure, even more so after looking at the google pics. the fish in the shop are about 3cm/4cm long if you look at the third pic on that google link, they look like that fin size wise..is that not a male in that pic? at what size would you see flaring/aggression?

well for the price i think i'll risk it and buy some. how many do you think is suitable..i know i should have a group of 5 to keep aggression down, but could i fit more, or perhaps a few platys with them?

I am no good with other fish other than bettas and puffs so unsure hon! Let me go look up some guidelines for you :)

Here is link that asked and helped me when considering females:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=291566&hl=

Quoting: For females, you need them in groups of 4 or more to cut down the squabbling , and no less than ten gallons . Five girls can work fine in a ten gallon but I wouldn't put more than that. And again, the bigger the tank the more girls you can have.

So your 120 litre in gallons is 26.4 UK gallons and 31.7 US gallons, unsure which honeythorn in my thread was referring to with 5 girls per 10g.

If we go on UK gallons with ratio of 5 girls per 10g then you could have 13, though tbh it may be a little more, never been good on mixing, anyone to the rescue who can help confirm the facts for sorority?

Most reactions

Back