Yet Another Problem With My Betta

You tried your best for him.
He could pull throw but to be honest I feel doubtful at this stage. 
It's gotten to the point now that I think even antibiotics are to late in the day.
I wish I could sound more hopeful but I don't want to build your hopes up.
I think he needs a rest from medication as well as they could be stressing him out to much
and weakening his immune system.
I think for now I would just let nature takes it course.

Maybe.  But I am going to try the meds when they arrive anyway in case they surprise us.  I think it would probably be awful to die from body rot if it comes to that (I once had a male guppy succomb to body rot that started as fin rot and progressed in less than 2 days... and he pineconed and I put him out of his misery)... So, I am thinking it is probably no worse to try the meds and see what that does.... if it doesn't show something within a few days or so of trying I will consider what to do.

I would give him a few days break for now and wait for the medication to arrive.
Just need him to recover a bit before starting the ektol medication. Just hope he stays stable till it arrives.
I would still try the garlic to give him a boost. As i'm beginning to think his immune system can't cope much more with medications.

I think it must be his immune system too.  I just can't understand how else this started.  Back ages ago when he tore his fins they healed quickly and easily.  Then way later this has started and seems rather unstoppable and I can't understand why it even started... conditions should have been right for him to have remained healthy and if he did contract anything he should have had perfect conditions to heal up quickly and that hasn't happened.

My water is back to being stable since the antibiotics I tried.

I haven't been placing medication in his water for the last few days but I have been treating him topically.

I know. I had guppies and always wondered why some of them got finrot in good water quality.
Bacteria lives in the background of your tank and if a fish gets a cut or wound it can gain entry and cause an internal infection.
Sometimes the fish is just not strong enough to fight it off.

I do hope Riley pulls throw.as you done so much for him. Keeping fingers crossed for better news.
I can't think of anything else you can do for him as you have done it all already.

You have been a fantastic help.  You win the best member of the board award in my books.

I will keep updating on whatever happens.

I think you are right, I think Riley won't make it.  He seems to have a "twitch" today... an occasional one which makes me think that the swelling around his dorsal fin must have reached or is starting to affect his body.  Not so sure he will recover from that. 

So, with that new twitch, is it worth still trying or should I be considering euthanizing him?

So sad to read this. I haven't been on here for about a week, busy with the garden.
Looking at his progress, there does not seem to be a lot of hope anymore. I think you have given him the best chance possible, and this last decision is a really hard one to make! So sorry things are so bleak right now! (hugs to you)

Well, I've decided it is about time to say good-bye to Riley.  He is such a lovely little guy with loads of fighting spirit.  I will be euthanizing him as he doesn't deserve to suffer and I feel he has started the process of suffering.... so, I will make arrangements to put him out of his misery gently.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back