Yellow Bellied Terrapin

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sez

Reaction score
I have two Yellow bellied terrapins, both same age (around 18month), both bought at same time from same litter (or whatever its called for terrapins). I was told general setup and care by the petshop but after reading different articles on internet im begining to wonder if the petshop even had a clue. One of my terrapins is almost twice the size of the other and looks like it is constantly attacking the other (it puts its arms either side of its head and shakes infront of the other terrapin) The petshop told me it is the bigger terrapin wanting to mate but as ive said i dont think he knows much. Is this a Problem or is the pet shop right?? Also please give me any general info on caring for terrapins. Thanks.

Not neccacarily trying to mate. SLiders (presumably what you have - yellow bellied sliders) will often do this to express their domenacne. Presumably the bigger one is doing this to the smaller? The bigger one is probably femalea s females grow larger and reach maturaty quickest. Bare in mind that an adult female YEllow bellied slider will grow to have a shell lenght of 13" so a pond ideally is required. Males will stay slightly smaller at about 8" shell length. they need EXTREME filtration! be warned!
Dan

so nothing to worry about?? Yes its the larger one doing it to the smaller one, They are currently in a 2 foot tank and are about 5" large one and 3" Small one, but have a 4 foot tank i am currently trying to set up. What sort of filteration would you recomend?? The pet shop only suggested a small cotton wool filter thing that floats about in the water.

Both sexes 'experiment' with the mating dance (called fanning ;) ) but it is usually not a problem. If the larger turtle begins to injure or harrass the other in an attempt to try and mate with it, you will need to separate, they can be quite vicious to their partners.
Paul

for a Turtle your looking at MASSIVE filtration. i mean two external filters which are very costly. For the size they are at now they need a 5ft tank minimum or a pond for the larger...

Both sexes 'experiment' with the mating dance
Not as such. In a sexual manner, it is the male whom will express this behaviour. The famale may preform this simply to express dominance between the two.

Not as such. In a sexual manner, it is the male whom will express this behaviour. The famale may preform this simply to express dominance between the two.

True, it can be used by turtles as mating behaviour or to express dominance, but that is not the only time. As juveniles, they tend to try it out on tank decor and such. Mine even tried to tickle a penknife through the tank glass.

Paul

Most reactions

Back