Ye Olde Sw Keeping

OohFeeshy

It's only forever; not long at all...
Reaction score
I beleive it's generally accepted that nowadays that to set up a SW tank, you use LR, a skimmer, LS.... The Berlin method, if I recall. But I've been wondering, how effective are the 'older' methods of SW keeping? For instance, in one of the books I've got, to set up a marine tank you do a UGF, put crushed coral on top of it, add tuffa rock and dead sponges/corals and put in your SW mix. And then cycle with hardy fish. It also says liverock can be added, but only to a mature system, and doesn't really mention a cleanup crew. So pretty much, how effective is this setup?

Not very effective. That is a recipe for a maintenance nightmare of a tank. You'd have to do religious water changes. You'd have to tear it down at least once a year to clear out the UGF. IMO UGFs are a thing of the past, even in freshwater setups. Most of the people I know don't use them at all. Those that do are in the process of converting away from them as they plug up and need cleaned. If you were to use a canister instead of the UGF and added some live rock to the tank it wouldn't be as bad but still not the best.

Agreed. Not to mention, the algal growth and the task of maintaing such a tank would require alot of time and effort.

Also, If you didnt have Live Rock or Live Sand, you would get a poor amount of biological diversity in your tank. Something most marine aquariasts love to see and actively encourage. If you set-up withouht LR, you'd be robed of worms, sponges, macro algae, corraline, crabs, and the list goes on.

If you add live rock to a mature tank, depending on size, your going to start a mini cycle. Not a good idea. It could lead to the death of your inhabitants.

As crazyelece mentioned, UGF's are thought of as out-of date. They do serve a purpose, but you would have to remove/disturb your whole set-up in order to maintain it. In SW keeping things stable for consistant amounts of time is a huge part of success.

There has been many debates over Tufa Rock, even here at TFF (maybe run a search). Many use it as a poor mans LR. Most of the debates have pointed out LR is the better option.

The reason why we have changed the way we set-up our tanks is because the current way is better than any previous attempts. Its not to say its impossible, but IMO, the current "Berlin" style methods work well.

Most reactions

Back