WWII History Buffs

Great story and it's amazing the bravery. My father also was in the bombing of Dresden. As I understood, the US bombed by day and the RAF pilots bombed by night. My dad had three things that you were to carry if you were 'forced down'"
-a small card to be hung around the neck in several languages
-a small compass to be concealed where the sun doesn't shine
-a map
-pistol, tho', he used to say that if you were caught with one you'd be considered a spy and shot

Another story..my dad told me that from time to time, they would fly a B17 up to Scotland and they would bring back a few cases of scotch. One pilot was lost crashing into the highlands.

My fathers toughest mission he would tell me with a wince, were his missions to a city called Merseburg. Pix to follow. SH

During the bombing raids on Germany, the German's tried to fool us by making a full size wooden replica of a target town so we would be mistaken from the air and bomb it thinking we had got the real town.

Unfortunately for them, the intelligency was good and the Brit bombers realised it was a pretend town.

The chaps made a wooden bomb and dropped it on the wooden city the next time they flew over.

Love it. They used to right great messages to A.H. on the drop too. Hope to get some time to add a few more pix. SH

Most reactions

Back