Would This Make Sense!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was just thinking, (im not going to do this) but if bettas need 1gallon of water to live. Couldent you have 5 females in a 5 gallon tank?

probably not:

(1) it's really not enough space for 5 females to claim territory and have the "neutral" areas that are essential for multiple aggressive fish

(2) 1g is only the minimum if you perform daily 100% water changes which is difficult, inconvenient, and expensive to manage on a 5g

(3) you would have to seriously over-filter a 5g to handle that size bioload and that would create a much greater current than even female bettas like

--EDIT--
the only way that this might be managable is if the 5g had a 10g footprint (such as seen in turtle-tanks) but in that case, you might as well use the cheaper and higher-volume 10g

I agree..water volume is not a good metric for determining "space" requirements especially for a betta only tank. You could get away using a 5 gallon IF it was a custom low profile design with a foot print of 24X12 like mentioned earlier. Bettas like big but shallow tanks when kept in a group.

Thanks,
i was just wondering i wasnet going to do it. I personaly would only put 1 in a 5 gallon.

Hi Friends, pica_nuttalli has stated in her reply, "the only way that this might be managable is if the 5g had a 10g footprint (such as seen in turtle-tanks)". Sorry I can't understand this. How can a 5g have 10g footprint? Could someone please explain.

Hi Friends, pica_nuttalli has stated in her reply, "the only way that this might be managable is if the 5g had a 10g footprint (such as seen in turtle-tanks)". Sorry I can't understand this. How can a 5g have 10g footprint? Could someone please explain.

if it's the same width and lenth as a 10g tank, but only half as high :)

Most reactions

trending

Back