Would This Be Useable?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sputnick

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
so i was in my backyard/field tonight looking for ideas to do my first aquascape and iran across this old rotten out log that was split in half., almost perfectly. i knew that this was what i was looking for. but im not sure if i can use it. i know its been down for a looong time and dead. i know its dry an half rotten but its too awsome to pass up. would i be able to use this in my aquarium? i know id have to soak it and boil it but before i go to the trouble of hauling it back and cutting it to fit i wantes to make sure i could actually use it
thanks!! :)

Because you are not taking this from a stream/river you might have a lot of residual sap.
The log is probably dry enough from the time it's been out there, so I guess it would be suitable. But be wary, since it may have poisonous sap and some residue might get into your tank.

If you are a 100% sure that it is NOT poisonous, soak it. Boil it for hours....changing the water every-so-often. If it sinks readily then take it out and dry it in the sun until it's "bone" dry (probably weeks for you). Once dry soak it again, this time in tank water, then, if you have a small tank where you put your fish in during cleaning or something, put the log in the small tank with some un-desirable fish, and see what happens.

IF YOU CAN NOT IDENTIFY THE TREE TYPE, DO NOT USE IT.

Hope this helps :)

99.9% its oak or popplar. i know its a hard wood forsure and its pretty large.. idk if i could boil it. maybe cut it into sections an just put them together in the tank?

I wouldn't recommend that. You never know what nasty critters might be calling that log "home". Boiling it would kill most, if not all, the parasites, and oak would do just fine. And if your fish need a certain level of pH, be cautious with adding wood, since it might lower the pH levels.

actually that would be perfect because my levels are just a tad high. im gonna figure out a way that i can boil this guy.. may have to do it outside over and open fire lol yeah its that big! but it will look amazing when its done.. thanks so much for your help!!

Just pour boiling water over it; don't boil the wood itself or it will disintegrate. You can take care of all the nasties by pouring the boiling water over it.

Yes, what TOS says. Neither wood, nor rocks, need actual boiling; boiling wood cooks it and causes it to break down far quicker than it should and with rocks it can be very dangerous.

alright, i cut the log down into a usable piece, i can't wait to use this its gonna look good. or atleast in my head it does =P lol but im gonna try doing my first aquascape with it. i have a few live plants in my tank growing right now, and i will get some more closer to when i can actually put it in. its so large that i had to make my own container to soak it in. i used some 2x4's and a tarp lol it works!

Most reactions

Back