Would Cherry Shrimp Survive In My Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dana C

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been planning on getting shrimps for a couple of months and have decided I like the cherry shrimps best. I know these are smaller shrimps so wanted to make sure my fish wouldn't eat them.

I have neons, glowlights, harlequins, cories, dwarf rainbow fish, a platy and danios.

Are any of these shrimp eaters? I would feel guilty if I got some and they were eaten straight away or had to hide away in fear of becoming dinner.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

The Glowlights will be an issue too. Every one of my first crop of Cherry shrimp but one was eaten by my Glowlights. After switching the Glowlights with the neons from the other tank, all of the "second batch" seem to be doing fine.

Danios are surprisingly fine though. They'll chase after a shrimp for a bit, but it seems to be more their instinctive chasing behavior they do with everything than any desire to eat them.

Currently I house my Cherries with: Guppies, Neons, Corys, 3 Dwarf African Frogs, and assorted snails/other shrimp. Seems like it works fine, though I'm wondering if the DAFs will munch on them.

I think the ideal setup for Cherries though if you want to breed them is a mini (10 gallon) planted tank with other shrimp and some snails, and no fish companions other than Otos and the various Boreas species (which are essentially the same size as a larger Cherris). Has the added benefit of being a pretty good home for fry.

Thanks for your replys,

I thought out of the fish the danios would be the problem, didn't think it would be glowlights.
I guess I had better give up on the idea of cherries.

Would I have the same problems with amanos? I know they grow bigger so would they be safe?

If not I think I will have to forget getting shrimp as I don't want to risk it.

I don't have any Amanos (LFS doesn't carry them) but they are twice the size, so I would guess they'd be fine with those tankmates...provided you get mature ones. They can't really breed in captivity, so don't worry about the babies.

Thanks for your help, :)

If anybody has kept amanos with the fish I have could you let me know how they got on.

Amanos would be fine with those fish as long as you have some plants or places that they can hide in to moult, just a piece of wood or rock they can hide under would do. They are very vulnerable when they are getting their new skeleton. If you got cherries they would get eaten or harassed so much you wouldn’t see them.

Thanks,

I will have to find some amanos then, I will add some more plants first so they have loads of hiding places and I put a piece of wood in there last week so that should be ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back