Will tank cycle? (KH 2)

Sunnyspots

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My tank seems to be cycling (my ammonia has dropped from approx. 3 or 4 to 2 in 3 days, and my nitrites increased from between 0.3 and 0.8 to 1.6 in the same time) but my KH is only between 1 and 2 dH, as is my tap water. Will such a low KH stop the cycling or just slow it? Does it interfere with the creation of nitrates from nitrites? (My testing kit for nitrates is in the post). The article here says KH needs to be at least 3. If my KH really is too low what could I do? My pH is 7 and GH is 4.

For during fishless cycling only, you can use bicarbonate of soda (aka baking soda). You may already have some in the kitchen, if not it's in the home baking aisle in the supermarket. This will increase KH and also pH. But it is not good for fish, especially soft water fish, so only for cycling. At the end of fishless cycling we do a huge water change to reset nitrate back to tap water level, and this will also remove the bicarb.

Use at the rate of 1 x 15 ml spoonful per 50 litres water. Remove a bit of water from the tank, dissolve the bicarb in that then pour it back in the tank.

Once the cycle is complete, you won't need to boost the KH artificially. Weekly water changes will replenish the KH that gets used up between changes.

That should speed up the cycle. It'll give the bacteria the inorganic carbon they need, and they prefer a higher pH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back