Will snails keep a tank cycled?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

gale

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My daughter is not ready to pick out a fish yet (she is picky and wants a certain color betta). If we cycle her tank, will nerite snails keep it cycled so we don't have to keep adding food or ammonia? If so what should we feed the snails? I want to have the tank cycled in advance so when she sees the fish of her dreams, she can get it.

If you have cycled the tank, the established nitrifying bacteria will not die off. They can go into a sort of suspended state, and for several weeks if not much longer. Snails would help, as they will assist in the breakdown of organics so the bacteria can get to it faster. I would add a small bit of fish food for the snails, not much though.

Byron.

Thank you. We are using an established filter media to "cycle" the tank. I tried fishless and just don't have the patience for it. My cycle stalled for about a week and I just lost interest. So I'm going to do a big water change and put the seeded media in there and then get some snails.

Thank you. We are using an established filter media to "cycle" the tank. I tried fishless and just don't have the patience for it. My cycle stalled for about a week and I just lost interest. So I'm going to do a big water change and put the seeded media in there and then get some snails.

Sounds OK to me. The other thing is that a Betta will not have much problem anyway, much different than if one added a bunch of fish at once. If you have live plants, you are definitely home free.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back