will my gourami's be lonely

gaya

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had to separate my two male dwarf gourami's because one seemed to be kicking the other one's but. They look beat up and I assumed it was do to all the chasing around and ramming into each other. Now they are each in a 29g. Do you think they will be lonely w/out one of their own kind?
thanks
gina

Hi gaya1111 :)

I wouldn't worry about them being lonely at all. :no: They are related to bettas who also do fine by themselves. I think you made a wise decision to separate them. :thumbs:

Wouldnt adding more have helped also? I currently have 2 pearl gourami with similiar situation, it has calmed down lately.

I was thinking adding 2 or 3 more would distribute the aggression.
What do you think?

try getting some females maybe? I was recommded to keep gouramis in a ratio of 1 male to 2 females.

canarsie11 said:
What do you think?
Hi canarsie11 :)

What do you mean by distribute the aggression? If you like to see one male dominant, and a lot of other fish cowering in the bushes, that's the way to go.

I don't think that putting more male bettas in a tank to calm them down would work either, for that matter. ;)

I've heard that it can help to add fish. I must admit it helped with my angels (which is why i have 4 in a tank right now) the biggest one was kicking but! now they have pretty much calmed down. I have looked for female gourami's and they are scarce. I suppose I would have to order some on line. I live in Boston so there are a ton of fish places in a 20 mile radius and not one has a female. I was fearful to get more males because these guys were brutal though I saw some beautiful guys yesterday (so tempting). even if I were to get them I quarantine for weeks at a time.

Hi gaya1111 :)

I have never even seen a female of any of the new colored dwarf gouramis, although I look every time I see them. :no: They are indeed hard to find. When I asked my lfs to order them for me, the owner told me he would get them if he could, but that they are never available from his distributors.

It seems to me that the breeders want to keep the ability to breed in their own hands and not allow home breeders to do it. Since this is the case, I will not buy any of their males either, no matter how lovely they are. :grr:

Inchworm said:
canarsie11 said:
What do you think?
Hi canarsie11 :)

What do you mean by distribute the aggression? If you like to see one male dominant, and a lot of other fish cowering in the bushes, that's the way to go.

I don't think that putting more male bettas in a tank to calm them down would work either, for that matter. ;)
I thought we were talking bout gouramis :blink:

I really don't know about the relationship between betta's and gourami's but I suppose they are in the same family. I don't have a betta but have heard to keep males separated. I heard too that sometimes gourami's could be aggressive. I thought once they entered my home they would become peace lovin hippy gourami's...i was wrong. :/

Hi Gaya,

I have 2 male dwarf gouramis too and one is definitely more aggressive. Thankfully so far there hasn't been any damage to either one and they have their own areas in the tank and enough plants to hide in. They are real beauties though and I love having them in my tank.

I've heard that adding lots of plants and rearranging the tank helps to curb agression among male gouramis. Not sure if you've already tried that so I thought I'd mention it. :)

Both Gouramis and Bettas are from the labyrinth family and both have a labyrinth organ that allows them to process oxygen from the air. Fish are always more fascinating than one expects! :wub:

I had these two in a 10g quarantine for about a week. During this time they each had their own side of tank (which was planted) and they were very busy building nests. One side of the tank had more air flow so one of their nests kept falling apart. The one guy who was having the problem with his nest kept going over to the other's nest and messing it up and they began fighting. i pulled them out of quarantine early and put them into a planted 29g thinking they would have enough space. Neither started with their nesting routine but kept fussing with each other. After awhile there scales started to look ragged and one kept hiding. So now they are on their own. hopefully they will be happy :)

Most reactions

Back