Will my Fluval 240 go on this cabinet?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

marcuk

Reaction score
Hi guys

I saw some very old posts of a similar topic, and hoping someone could help.

I have the fluval 240 on the chipboard stand it came with, In my other room I have this oak cabinet which the tank would fit on http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2780720

I have a much smaller tank on the oak cabinet no problem, been on there 3 years, but I want to give the smaller tank to a friend and move the 240 onto it. The "oak" cabinet has an oak front, frame and drawers/doors, pine back and then a MDF/oak veneer top.

Thanks in advance.

What are the dimensions of the Fluval 240?

What are the dimensions of the cabinet, eg: how thick are the legs, top, etc?
Is there any supporting brackets under the top?

240 liters of water weigh 240 kgs. Glass sand and rocks are all heavier than water so you could be looking at 400-500 kgs all in - that's half a ton. Doesn't answer your question but you have seen the cabinet and we haven't.

Like Colin said it's important to know the dimensions plus the thickness of the walls are important so all that weight would be secured down on the cabinet and no one wants a fish tank collapsing down.

Sorry I have been on holiday and did not see your replies.

The cabinet seems quite chunky, and the legs (only at each corner) fully support the top. I will measure properly. I know its not the same at all, but 2 large adults sat wither side of the 90 litre tank that is currently in the middle of the cabinet and it was not an issue.

I have since since a 5ft marine tank on a very similar non aquarium stand with no added support, and that also had a huge sump on the bottom shelf, and a very slight bow.

I am thinking of being double safe and putting a piece of plywood all the way across at the back adding more support to the top, down to the floor. I have noticed the new fluval 420 cabinets still make contact with the floor at the back and sides, but now not at the front.

Also I thought it would be double safe to add extra 2x2 support where the middle drawer is, losing the use of the drawer, but having a 2x2 box frame behind this from the top to the bottom, might be overkill, but just trying to make it super safe.

Would you put rubber under the tank or another piece of plywood cut to fit the tank size?

Its a shame there is not a lot of choice with fish tank cabinets, but I am hoping doing the above might be a good idea?.

Thanks in advance

Frankly that cabinet looks as strong (or stronger) as the stands that are sold with ensembles (tank, hood/light, stand). Plus it looks pretty nice! So assuming the dimensions are appropriate, I'd say (from an armchair away) that it is probably okay.

Thanks. Just measured, and what I think is a real stroke of luck, the tank goes exactly bob on over each 4 corners/legs. Just leaves the top overhang of the sideboard free.

still going to ply the back and hide some central support to stop any bowing. What would be best to put under the tank if anything?.

Polystyrene foam is the best thing to have between the aquarium and stand. The bigger the tank, the more polystyrene you need. The tank should have a sheet that covers the entire base. Small tanks have a sheet of foam that is about 10-12mm thick. Bigger tanks can have 20-30mm of polystyrene foam under them.

The foam compresses and cushions the bottom of the tank and helps prevent cracking.

If you put a tank on a stand or shelf without any foam under it, the middle of the base of the aquarium gets pushed down a bit and can crack. The foam helps prevent this.

Does this apply to floating base tanks? The instructions that came with my old Juwel Rio said not to put anything between the tank and stand as doing that that would invalidate the warranty. I'm pretty sure that Fluval tanks are also floating base.

Most reactions

Back