Will My Cat Fish Barbel Grow Back

What kind of catfish do you have?

I have Pictus, and their barbels have grown back in the past when they have been nipped shorter. I had one earlier this year that had fungal fin rot. All of its fins and barbels eroded almost to the body and they managed to grow back. I can not even see the difference now.

Keep the water clean and add medication only if you see an infection :good:

It will grow back, although perhaps not as long as it was before.

It could have been bitten off, or it could have caught an infection in it, perhaps through a dirty substrate.

P.S; Could you make threads in their proper places, rather than in the 'welcome' section, please? Queries like this don't really belong here (sorry, it sounds like I'm nagging you today!) and you'll get better responses if you post things in the right place ;)

yeah sorry and thats good news what fngak stuff did you get as ill get some just in case i did water change this week so its clean how often to do a water change do you reckon

yeah sorry and thats good news what fungal stuff did you get as ill get some just in case i did water change this week so its clean how often to do a water change do you reckon

Depending on your stock and filtration systems, I would do two 30-40% water changes per week.

I used JBL fungol and it worked a treat. You will know if you need it. Mine had what looked like lumps of cotton wool on the end of each barbell and an inch was falling off each day. It was very upsetting at the time.

Yours sounds like it has just been nipped so you should be ok as long as you keep the water clean.

sweet il do a weekly water change then cheers

I would suggest at least two or even three 25-50% water changes per week to help keep the water in tip top condition (even if test results are perfect).

You should be doing daily water changes anyway because you're doing a fish in cycle - remember?
rolleyes.gif

Most reactions

Back