Will Java Moss Survive In A Pond?

mike455555

i need to stop buying plants....
Reaction score
as the title says will java moss survive in a pond? over a UK winter?, also will any other plants survive in the pond? (like riccia) or will the frost get them.

iv got a small pot of dwarf hairgrass in my pond. its send off new shoots awhile back. im seeing if it can survive the winter. i might try this with java moss and riccia as well... i just wandered if anyone has had experience with tropical plants in a non-tropical setting

Not in the UK... one frost will wipe them all out unfortunately.

Light requirements would also be an issue as most aquatic plant species from warmer climates, require much higher periods of lighting than we have in winter in the UK.

is there any aquatic moss which will survive then? (wanted to cover a waterfall).
at a garden centre they were selling Elocharis acicularis as a pond plant.

apparently there have been reports of java moss surviving frost? (googled it)

im going to give it a try this winter. with java moss and maybe xmas moss as well (just some off cuts).

the hairgrass i put in there about 4 mounts ago has got stunted growth but it is growing. not had a hard frost yet tho...

i'd go to your local country park and have a look around. It will save on the price you will pay for tropical mosses, that probably won't survive.

thanks ... theres a river near me but its not got any aquatic moss in it =]

my java moss made it through the winter however I do not have any frost on the pond but I do get some at night around the pond. My dwarf riccia however did not do so well. I have also tried moss on a waterfall but everything that went through the filter became stuck in the moss and hair algae grew from it. the moss grew a lot but clumps of brown fish poop and decaying leaves did not look so good ;) just my imput

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back