Will Cherry Shrimp Eat Eggs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

They'll groom them and eat any with fungus but leave viable ones as far as I'm aware

I don't agree with this. I'm pretty certain that if any animal comes across such a good protein source as eggs, and there is a way for them to eat it, they will...

My cherry shrimp and even crystal red shrimp are always hanging around where my cory's have laid eggs on the glass and the shrimp don't harm them. In fact the cory's are more likely to scoff the eggs themselves. I know the shrimp haven't touched the eggs because when the eggs are high enough up the side of the tank I usually put a net against the glass to stop the cory's but the shirmp and Borneo Suckers can still get behind to do their magic. Upshot I get to see the eggs develop and eventually hatch ( start seeing the odd fry getting around the tank) and none of the eggs have been harmed by either species. I have had young bristle noses in with cory eggs and even they have not harmed the eggs. I think tetras. danios, guppies (yep guppies happily eat cory eggs) and a host of other fish will have a go at eating eggs or fry but cherry shrimp are safe.

None of my shrimp eat "good" eggs. I have amano, cherry, yellow sakura, crystal red, vampire, bamboo, rhino, pearl.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back