Will Adding New Substrate Effect My Cycled Tank.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bigcheed

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been thinking of adding some sand to the substrate in my 10g. There is only a thin layer of bracelet the moment. The tank is occupied by a single male betta and I was thinking of getting him some Cory cats for company. But I know they prefer a sandy bottom. So if I put a layer of sand on top of the gravel will this effect the cycle in the tank as I believe that a good portion of bacteria live in the gravel.

if you put sand on the gravel then it'll slid down between the gravel and defeats the purpose of adding sand. you can put your beta into a cup
then drain the tank, the remove the gravel. the before putting in the sand rinse it like crazy and put it in. and boom you are done.

Myself I would drain 50% into a bucket as if you was doing a water change then put your fish in there while you change the substrate, then top up the tank but use tetra safe start for the live bacteria  just to make sure its ok and then pop the fish in after it settles and do a water test in the morning.  
59.gif

Thanks guys. I got the idea from a thread is read elsewhere where a guy used a funnel and tube to put fresh sand in his tank.

Some amount of bacteria in almost any tank is on the upper parts of the substrate (when there is substrate). In some tanks this is minimal in others it is a lot. It depends on one's filtration and then how that filter is loaded with media as well as some other factors.

If you are going to do the change over, monitor ammonia levels for the next week or so to make sure all is well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back