Will A Common Pleco Eat Platy Fry?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a fry tank with about 11 platy fry in, all about 1cm long, but there is a lot of algae in the tank, and I clean it weekly but it just keeps coming back so fast! Would I be able to put my common pleco on with them? He is only about 9/10cm long, and it would only be for a short amount of time while he cleared up the algae. I think he would enjoy it because there is no algae in my community tank, so he would get a treat :nod: Would he eat my platy fry or harm them in any way, and has anyone done this before? Can I do this or am I just being stupid? :stupid:

You'll still be in the same issue once the pleco is removed. Just to remind you, they have been known to grow to as large as 2ft. Mine grew 7" in 7 months.

Is it green algae sticking to decor, brown, hair?

If it's just the general green algae, then you have a couple of options.

- Reduce the lighting on the tank. If you're running 14 hours a day, cut that right down to around 10-12 or so. Algae doesn't do well with inconsistent light, so trying breaking it up with your timer. Say 4 hours on, 1 hour off, repeated for the desired light time. Also ensure your tank doesn't receive direct sunlight. If it does, relocate or use a background/paint it.

- Look into UV Sterlisers. They are more commonly used in ponds, but, can be used in an aquarium. These will combat algae, as well as improve overall water quality.

Let me know if you have any more Q's

have you thought of getting a couple of oto's or even a few trumpet snails? They'd be better in such a small tank and would love all that algae to munch on :)

Thanks guys, you helped me out :good:

I think a pleco would go little far. The fry would be much healthier if they eat algae. Even brown algae has microorganisms that the are very healthy for them. I think a few snails would be better since they could leave some for the fry.

You are darned right they will eat fry. A pleco is not automatically a pure vegetarian and it will eat fry opportunistically.

You are darned right they will eat fry. A pleco is not automatically a pure vegetarian and it will eat fry opportunistically.
Did someone have a bad experience? I always thought when they became big they would try to eat the slime coat off?

Plecos are not pure vegetarians. If they come across a fry hiding in the substrate, they will treat it as food. Slime coat is a CAE trick as far as I know. I have not heard that about a pleco.

Plecos are not pure vegetarians. If they come across a fry hiding in the substrate, they will treat it as food. Slime coat is a CAE trick as far as I know. I have not heard that about a pleco.
I've seen in various articles the common plecos will eat slime coats off large fish slow like koi and even cause sores on rays. But they only attempt this if they can't get enough protein in their diet, which algae wafers provide. It would probably be a little dangerous to try to suck the coat off a giat piraiba catfish lol.

i have seen my fry being chased and ate by plecs, so i would say only use the light for when you admiring your tank to reduce the algae issue. also i noticed as my tank was by the window it came back within days. now my tanks moved to a darker spot i have no algea issue. the snail are more of a issue once they start to breed. i would say move the tank or reduce the lighting times :blink:

i don't know much about this but if you got a variety of snails they wouldn't breed right?
btw i've found that temperate apple snails eat less algae than people say they do. you just end up with cool patterns in the algae.

I put him in the fry tank for one night, went to see him in the morning and all the fry were fine, there was not a speck of algae, and my plec had a very big belly :p Moved him back to the big tank and he has been absolutely fine! But gosh, does he know how to poop! Yeesh... Water change! :hyper:

I put him in the fry tank for one night, went to see him in the morning and all the fry were fine, there was not a speck of algae, and my plec had a very big belly :p Moved him back to the big tank and he has been absolutely fine! But gosh, does he know how to poop! Yeesh... Water change! :hyper:
That's the thing about plecos, they are really good cleaners because basically all the algae turns to poop! But the filter can take care that but not the algae.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back