Why Do Red Belly Piranhas Spaz Out Somtimes?

sryan0609

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
sometimes my reds like freak out when i walk in the room, turn on a light and things like that. Why do they do this, and is there anyway i could stop them from doing this. And is it bad for them

Don't scare it. People react when startled. Fish do the same. If it isn't settled in yet just wait and see how it is in a few weeks. You could move the tank to an area of less traffic and/or dimmer lighting. Piranhas can't regulate the amount of light coming into their eyes so they don't do well with high lighting.

Don't scare it. People react when startled. Fish do the same. If it isn't settled in yet just wait and see how it is in a few weeks. You could move the tank to an area of less traffic and/or dimmer lighting. Piranhas can't regulate the amount of light coming into their eyes so they don't do well with high lighting.

Yep dim your lights, it will help them. Are they juvenile red's? they are notoriously skittish.

My red bellies are now 4 years old and about twice a week when you turn on the lights they go crazy.Every time they do this there is a new scrape on their foreheads.I have to believe this is normal as they are now 12 inches long and in very good condition.I have two.

some fish are more skittish than other's.....my tinfoil's and silver shark's get spooked very easily indeed, wow that's not a good site, you could do two thing's....move tank to less traffic area, also could cover front of tank with a cover once light's go out, this seem's to be the worst time for skittishness... :good:

i have had them for at least 8 or so months..moving the tank isnt really an option, but ill dim the lights, and cover the tank

but is it bad for them to freak out like this?

they might end up doing damage to them selfs on decor or sumthing like that so covering them over would be a gd idea

How big are they?

Just dim the lights, it will be fine once they get used to it if they new or juveniles.

sryan,I've had these fish long enough that covering the tank will only increase "spaz" as now they don't see any activity till you take the cover off.I believe let them get familiar with your day to day activity and that will only get less imo.I don't think that will ever stop in a high traffic area.Even less so if it's in a off the beaten path area.Hope this helps :good:

sryan,I've had these fish long enough that covering the tank will only increase "spaz" as now they don't see any activity till you take the cover off.I believe let them get familiar with your day to day activity and that will only get less imo.I don't think that will ever stop in a high traffic area.Even less so if it's in a off the beaten path area.Hope this helps :good:

helps if they're kept in the right quantity

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back